Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Several short reviews

From: Jim Jones <jones@HOPKINS-EECS-BRAVO.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 87 23:37:45 EDT
Subject: Several short reviews

 Here are some short impressions of some of the music I've aquired
 recently(?).

 ---------
 Erasure,  "The Circus"            Sire Records

 I hesitate to say that this is just Yaz with a new vocalist who sounds
 a lot like Alison Moyet.  However, that does go a long way in describing
 this group.  I haven't heard their first album (this is their second)
 but here at least Erasure reminds me of Yaz.  That's not a bad thing
 except that I like Alison Moyet's vocals better.  She always sounded
 like she was "slumming" in her lower vocal ranges on my favorite tracks,
 the new vocals (dunno the name, his last name is Bell) sound thin at
 points as Herr Bell stretches towards the high end of his range.  There
 are some very nice tracks, but some of them have flaws as well.  For
 example, _It Doesn't Have to Be_ is a credible dance number but the
 rythym is interrupted by a psuedo-African break that "breaks" the tempo.
 Overall a pretty good album of electro-dance music.  The vocals sound
 pinched in places, and the lyrics are stupid at times, but it's better
 than the disco rehash being dumped on the airwaves (and dance floors)
 these days.  Oh yeah, there are some nice ?ballads? (at least slow tempo)
 tunes here also.

 ---------------
 The Smiths, "Strangeways, Here We Come"              Sire Records

 I haven't listened to this album enough yet but some things have struck
 me already.  From my cursory spins I've noticed several invocations of
 other bands.  _Death of a Disco Dancer_ screams "Beatles!" at me.  The
 vocals remind me of John Lennon in places, the short baking vocal part
 "maybe in the next world, maybe in the next world" sounds a great deal
 like a Beatles song.  Finally, the ending of the song evokes yet another
 fab-4 tune.  Any other takers on this theory?  Also, an fellow record
 fanatic said he thought he heard "shades of Bauhaus" circa _Bela Lugosi's
 Dead_, but I'm not sure where he was talking about...  Then again I'm
 not very familiar with Bauhaus ('twas before my time you see.).

 -------------
 Bears, "Bears"           Primative Man Records (dist. IRS/MCA)

 There's been some talk here about this album and a local rag gave it rave
 reviews.  If what you've heard hasn't convinced you to check out the Bears,
 perhaps ones more strong recommendation will.  I have really warmed up to
 this album; the first couple of listens left me unmoved.  However, the
 lyrics are clever, the music is quite well written and performed.  The cover
 art *really* leaves me cold though, but I'm hard to please in that category.
 The song _Honey Bee_ has become a particular favorite.  I like to think
 they're poking fun a Jim Bakker; lines like "Honey Bee, don't stand so close
 to me/ I've got plans, I'm working on being a holy man" are truely
 appreciated.  Well, the lyrics are probably "whole new man", but it's
 still amusing...

 -jj

 UUCP:  {ihnp4!whuxcc | seismo!umcp-cs}!jhunix!ecf_ujaj
 ARPA:  jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa
 BITNET:  L64A0110@jhuvm