Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: S P K at the I-Beam, SF 8/24

From: Niels P. Mayer <mayer%hplnpm@HPLABS.HP.COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 13:00:16 PDT
Subject: Re: S P K at the I-Beam, SF 8/24

>        Sinan screams.  Revell hits drum machine.  Videos are shown,
> depicting various African tribes dismembering animals, drinking
> their blood, and inducing water buffalo excretia by sucking on
> animal's anus.  Scenes shift to Maori tribespeople performing
> similar rites.  The emphasis is definitely on dismemberment.

I'd say the emphasis was specifically on eye gouging... SPK did
elephant eye gouging, human eye gouging, etc, etc and chris n cosey
continued on into this by including the eye scene from Dali's Chien
Andalou. The shit made me sorry I ever clipped the eyes off a garden
snail as a kid. It even made me remember all semi-bogus
"blindness/sight motif" interpretations of Equus and Oedipus that they
rammed down my throat at school. I wondered where all the animal
rights pansies were when we really needed them! Oh and don't forget
Graeme's power sander sending showers of ignited steel sparks into the
eyes of the audience! And the videos of south american indians
snorting hallucinogenic beans and drooling/crying uncontrollably.  I
too was on the verge of vomiting.  This was a visual quest into the
heart of the horror the horror....  Fortunately, beer drunk at the bar
while turned away from the screen helped keep the vomit down..... then
chris and cosey came on and they were soothing and new-age in
comparison to SPK.

Joe Bob Briggs woulda said "don't check it out" and gives it a 5 quart
vomit-meter rating.

-- Niels Mayer
   HP Labs.