Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

S P K at the I-Beam, SF 8/24

From: rosen@JI.BERKELEY.EDU (Rob Rosen)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 87 17:12:43 EDT
Subject: S P K at the I-Beam, SF 8/24
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

[ From the Love-Hounds Lost and found... --|>oug ]

	"Oh Boy" say I, "SPK, Australian industrial / ethnic people come to
the Bay Area for an Exclusive Show.  I'd better make sure to pay $13 to
see them (and Chris and Cosey).  Don't wanna miss this one."

	Onstage are two 100 gallon oil barrels, a steel beam, a Sequential
Six-Trak lo-tech synth which appears to be MIDI'd to a sampler, an RX-15,
and a tape deck.

	Graeme Revell and Sinan, accompanied by a third (female) dancer,
walk onstage to the strains of the first track from 'Zamia Lehmanni.'
The music consists of that provided by the tape deck, with some random
drum machine hits, and the occasional oil drum bash.  Sinan resembles a
small Asian Ewok.  Revell has greasepaint smeared all over his body, and
looks like an Esprit model clad in Indian getup.

	Sinan screams.  Revell hits drum machine.  Videos are shown,
depicting various African tribes dismembering animals, drinking their
blood, and inducing water buffalo excretia by sucking on animal's anus.
Scenes shift to Maori tribespeople performing similar rites.  The
emphasis is definitely on dismemberment.

	Blood.  Corpses.  Animal intestines.  More screaming.  Stupid
attempts at "playing" hanging wood pipes.  Pounding on steel beams.  The
audience giggles, and then pays fascinated attention.

	I manage to leave without throwing up after half an hour.

	Rob
				Rob Rosen
	University of California, Computer Systems Support Group
ucbvax!rosen [UUCP] rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU [Internet] rosen@ucbvax.BITNET
   "You know what I hate most?  Rhetorical questions." -- Henry N. Camp