Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Television

From: gobbel.pa@XEROX.COM
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 87 00:40:20 PDT
Subject: Re: Television

> From: tpf@PYR.GATECH.EDU (Tom Friedel)

> Someone just gave me a tape labelled 'Tuxedomoon / Halfmute' that had
> some interesting 'post-punk' sounds.  I think it may be a group called
> Television, that had an album in the top 100.

> What can anyone tell me about Television?

> Tom Friedel

I can't tell you too much about Television, except that I think that's
Tom Verlaine's old band.  They were good (and Tom Verlaine still is),
but they have nothing to do with Tuxedo Moon.

Tuxedo Moon was a San Francisco band, originally including performance
artist Winston Tong.  He left the band fairly early on, don't know if
he made any records after leaving (I know he performed around the Bay
Area long after leaving the band).  Anyway, he sings on the only
Tuxedo Moon record that I have, a 12" 45 rpm EP that includes "new
machine", "litebulb overkill", "nite & day", and "no tears".  The
record is copyright 1978, no record company name anywhere on it.

"Half Mute" is the only LP that I know of by them, not sure when it
came out but I'd guess 1979-80.  There was one song on it - "What's
The Use" - that got a lot of airplay in the Bay Area.  I'm pretty sure
they've broken up, not sure when.

-Randy

	[ They may have broken up for all I know, but I did see live
	  less than a year ago.  They have several other albums,
	  including *Desire* and *Holy War*.  They were never the same
	  after Blaine Reingesomethingorother left the band.  -- |>oug ]

----
Randy Gobbel, Xerox PARC/ISL
Disclaimer: Opinions here are mine, not my employer's
Arpanet: gobbel.pa@xerox.com
UUCP: ...!hplabs!parcvax!gobbel