Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Alternate Interpretations

From: ihnp4!cuae2!killer!rigel@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 20:22:50 EDT
Subject: Re: Alternate Interpretations

> From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>           (Jonathan S. Drukman)

> I've been poring over old LH printouts, and I noticed a consistent
> thread in IED's postings: a tendency to denounce any interpretation
> not specifically given by Kate herself.  Remember the Hot Press
> interview?  ............  IED's editorial comment was "Isn't it
> amazing how people can persist in their own misinformed opinions
> when they have just been told by the ultimate authority of their
> mistake?"  Well, that's not quite fair.

     Why not?  If a) KT IS GOD, -and- b) KT says that the
aforementioned opinion that "The Ninth Wave" is about drug dependance
is in fact, unwarranted then, does it not follow that that is in fact
a true statement?  (GOD said it, how authentic can you get?).

> ...  "The Ninth Wave" turned into a film about someone getting over
> a drug habit.  Imagine the scope of hallucinogenic images that could
> be fitted to the songs themselves!!  The possibility is quite
> intriguing.

   Well, maybe so, but that still has nothing to do with whether or not the
intended topic of the song is drug dependance.

> I for one hope that people continue to make these mistaken
> interpretations, cos it makes for some pretty intriguing thoughts...

   It's fine with me if people feel a different personal meaning in
the song than the one intended by Kate, as long as they don't try to
insist that their personal meaning is more valid in a universal sense
that the intended one.

>    Just because Kate didn't have it in mind when it was written
> doesn't mean that it wasn't lurking there in her subconscious, and
> us clever listeners can read things into Kate's art that Kate
> herself never dreamed was in there...

   Kate is god, what if she doesn't really have a subconcious?  What
if she only thinks that she has a subconscious?  :-) (actually, by a
similar argument, if she thniks she has a subconscious, and she is
god, she therefore has a subconscious, if only by deific mandate)

   Now, on to a couple of other things...  How does one get IED's
master list of KT?  (oh, while i'm asking, if I had a printed
interview, i would be willing to type it in for all to enjoy) Also,
does anyone know where I could get the french import CD of "Never for
Ever"?  I really want the french version of "The Infant Kiss" on CD,
and the only ones avail locally are the USA and UK versions.

PS: Is Gaffa REALLY Duct-Tape?  Fascinating: Suspended In Duct-Tape...
PPS: Please send all Flames to someone else...
PPPS: K A T E  B U S H  I S  G O D D E S S! ! (D I S C O R D I A , I N C A R -
         N A T E)  -  Hail Eris! All Hail Discordia!

> --Jon Drukman
> "This kind of pornography is a matter of artistic creativity"

          --- Opion Texnh PSuxh
              Roland Pleasant Dunkerley III
     USnail   9638 Hammerly
     Mail     Houston, TX 77080 - 5318   (no letterbombs, please!)

     UUCP:    ...!ihnp4!cueae2!killer!rigel