Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: CD query and gratuitous rambling

From: uhccux!julian@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Julian Cowley)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 20:16:41 EDT
Subject: Re: CD query and gratuitous rambling

[From the Love-Hounds Lost and Found.... --|>oug]

Niels P. Mayer <mayer%hplabsz@hplabs.HP.COM> writes:

> Just went compact disk spreeing and thoroughly overstepped my CD
> diet (1 cd per week) by buying Eno's Desert Island Collection, Pink
> Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn (groovy!.... a necessary fix
> while I wait for the next Robyn Hitchcock) and Hendrix's Live at
> Winterland.

Piper has held a fixation on me for longer than any other Floyd album
that I have ever owned.  But for a more complete selection of the
material that you know well, the double-compilation record-album (I
doubt it's on CD) _A Nice Pair_ suits well.  In addition to Piper, it
has the second released album _A Saucerful of Secrets_, which is a
little more Watery than the first.  The mood of the whole album is
consistent all the way through, however.

I don't mean to knock Roger Waters, but the main listening points
throughout seem to be the Barrett cuts.  Barrett is an understated
figure, in my opinion, but he has been getting a lot of attention
recently.  More than any other composer I can think of, he seems to be
able to agilely walk the line between outright genius and complete
stupidity (or insanity).  For a general consensus, I think it depends
upon whom you talk to and what mood Syd was in when he wrote the song.

Now all I have to do is find a little Robyn Hitchcock (but I don't
know why) to extend my pursuit of this phenomenon.  I couldn't call it
less, because it could end tomorrow for all I know.

BTW, Camper Van Beethoven do a hypnotic, but rather complacent
tongue-in-cheek version of Interstellar Overdrive.  Anybody been
keeping up with these guys?

Jules Cowley, Laboratory for Educational Inquiry
UUCP {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!julian
ARPA uhccux!julian@nosc.MIL
INET julian@uhccux.UHCC.HAWAII.EDU         BITNET U929190@UHCCMV