Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The RUNT speaks...

From: sevp@PWCS.STPAUL.GOV (Sev Pearman)
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 87 20:11:00 EDT
Subject: The RUNT speaks...

[From the Love-Hounds Lost and Found.... --|>oug]

As promotion for his appearance last night at 1st Ave, Todd Rundgren
                                                       CCCCCCCCCCCCC
spoke for a bit on "The Cities 97."  I tuned in hoping to hear an
allusion to the Skylarking/"Dear God" debacle, and what I was justly
                CCCCCCCCCC
rewarded.

        NOTE:  Although I was at work during the interview and could
               not tape it, I did take careful notes.  Thus, while
               Todd's responses are paraphrased, they are to the point
               and essentially correct.

DJ:  "Could we have your word on the Skylarking controversy?"
                                     CCCCCCCCCC

TR:  "Yeah, [couldn't catch cynical intro comments] ...When I first
      arranged the concept, I wanted to include Dear God.  I felt
      that it was a much better and more appropriate song than was
      "Another Sattelite," which the band members, in particular
      Partridge, wanted to include in its place.  Due to
      pressure from the band, when we mastered the album, I pulled DG
      and included AS.  The label company then released DG as a B-side
      of a single [Q:  what was the A-side to this? - s e v]
           Then a LA station starts to play DG, which causes enough of
      a flap [his phrase!!] to induce the label to re-release DG as an
      A-side single [B-side is ___? - s e v]  This fervor continued
      and rose to the point where we went back into the studio,
      re-mastered the album to include DG, where it seques into the
      song that follows, as I had originally intended.

[Stupid comment from DJ about "I guess you were right etc etc "
follows.  He then asks "If you were stranded on an island and could
only bring ONE record" blah blah blah... {gimme a break...}]

TR:  "Oh, you mean Madonna's Who's That Girl?"
                             CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

DJ:  "Heh-heh-heh"

TR:  "No, seriously, I've never been able to answer that question, but
      I do know that I would rather have a CD player than a record
      player..."

[interview quickly winds down]

Feel free to copy re-post etc as you see fit, but PLEASE DO NOT
PARAPHRASE, EDIT, RE-INTERPRET, OR OTHERWISE CHANGE THE CONTENT.

"Yeah, well I remember hearing about a guy who knew somebody who read
an interview taped from the radio that said Todd hates XTC, and REALLY
wnated to produce Bon Jovi's new album!"

thanx, folx

s e v