Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

They Might Be Giants

From: ll-xn!munsell!pac@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (Paul Czarnecki)
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 87 18:14:10 EDT
Subject: They Might Be Giants
Posted-Date: Mon, 21 Sep 87 18:14:10 EDT

I have good news for "They might Be Giants" fans.  I saw them last
Saturday at Green Street Station in good ol' JP and they claim to be
working on a second album.  No release date nor title yet.

To start the show, they made some really "cool" red velvet hats that
were about four feet tall.  Unfortunately, the ceiling permits only 6
inch hats so they performed the first number (He Wants a Shoehorn, The
Kind With Teeth) kneeling down.  They claim to have "Bork must Die"
subliminals in the tape.

The P.A. sucked, ("Our contract says "High-Tech P.A.", we've been
deceived) but they managed to sound ok.  About half of the material
was not on their first album nor was it played the last time they were
in the Boston area.  Presumably it is all new.  They also called this
The Tour of The Soundtrack to the Film of the Second Album.

It was interesting to see that at least some of the backwards masked
parts of "Hide Away Folk Family" ("This one's a ballad") are not tape
manipulations but actually sung backwards.  I was fairly close and it
looked real.  I still think he fakes some of the guitar parts however.

Of course they did "The Sun is a Mass of Incadescent Gas" and "The
Fast Polka."  Absent were "Alienation's for the Rich", "Chess Piece
Face", "Rabid Child", and "Toddler Highway".  "Purple Toupee" will be
on the second album.  The crowd went wild (I'm allowed some hyperbole
arn't I?) over "Puppet Head".

This concert marked the first occurance that John's parents didn't
show up for a concert in the Boston area, but that is ok, because the
other John's parents showed up for the first time.  They claim to have
been asked by the management of TT the Bears not to come back because
the people that showed up were too weird, and that Nightstage is a
real snooze.  Perhaps it is the lack of a dance floor at Nightstage
that bothered them.

They did two encores ("Number Three", and "She's an Angel") and hawked
T-shirts and cassettes after the show.  ("Pay for our trip home," they
proclaimed) $10 for a shirt, $8 for a cassette.

"The Young Architects" from Portland Maine opened the show, sorta
generic but fun also.  "The Pixes" were next, give these folks a
listen.  The lead singer has a high winny voice that somehow works.
The bassist looks like Mary Tyler Moore and is halfway out of place
but she plays well and really enjoy the music.  TMBG played for about
an hour.

					pZ
--
			       Paul Czarnecki -- My newsfeed's in Esperanto
	{{harvard,ll-xn}!adelie,{decvax,allegra,talcott}!encore}!munsell!pz