Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-17 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Your long overdue fix of KTiana from L-Hs' favourite KorrespondenT

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 87 11:29 PDT
Subject: Your long overdue fix of KTiana from L-Hs' favourite KorrespondenT

     First, IED accepts Doug's explanation for the lateness of
Love-Hounds this summer, and is comforted by his assurances of
speedier delivery in the future. We'll all just have to stand by. So,
at the risk of upsetting all the "XTC" fans in this group, IED will
not be leaving Love-Hounds in the near future, after all. Thanks are
sent to those who expressed concern, however.

KT NEWS:
--------

_Kate Bush Complete_ is the title of a new and long-promised book that
has finally been published by EMI/IMP Books. It is a collection of
"all" of Kate's songs published to date. It includes the lyrics to
sixty-six of her songs, followed by the sheet-music for all sixty-six.
There are also about fifty or so smallish black-and-white photographs,
a few of which have never been published anywhere before, although all
are from familiar photo sessions. There is also an introduction by
Peter Fitzgerald-Morris, the chief editor of _Homeground_ -- "The
International Kate Bush Fanzine". And it's clear that Kate and her
family were consulted at least to some extent on the plans for the
book. Finally, there are a discography (U.K. releases only), a
videography and -- most valuable of all, I think, although filled with
gaps -- a month-by-month chronology of Kate's career. The quality of
the paper and printing of this eight-by-ten paperback book are
excellent, and IED's initial reaction overall is quite positive.
There are, of course, some errors of fact and one or two unfortunate
omissions (two songs are missing, "Be Kind to My Mistakes" and the
early, unreleased song "Maybe"), but to its credit the book is very
carefully edited (both French lyrics, for example, are letter-perfect
-- a real rarity in pop books!), and it even solves a few "mysteries".
     In "Not This Time" both Doug Alan and IED seem to have been
wrong about the words in the second verse. According to this new
book, the lines are:

  I don't know why I give in but I do every time
  And here I am wondering why I did it again
  Toor-ee-ah Toor-ee-oh
  That's what I say
  It keeps me going and it keeps the ship away

I have not yet, however, entirely accepted the above transcription.
There are a number of errors that can be confirmed in other songs as
published in this book, which indicate either that Kate was not
consulted about every detail of the lyrics to be printed or that she
didn't inspect every detail too carefully when she had the chance. No
specific information is given about how close the Bushes' involvement
was with this project. But looking at this new lyric, IED can't help
suspecting that "ship" is a euphemism on the part of the editors.
There's no reason for using "ship" in the context of this song, none
at all, that IED can see. On the other hand, "shit" makes absolutely
perfect sense in the verse, echoing almost exactly the meaning of the
first phrase in the same line ("It keeps me going"). So you be the
judge. MarK, Doug and the rest of the Loyal Lionhearts, IED awaits
your opinions with great interest.

The other major revelation in the book is found in the lyrics for
"Delius". IED (no doubt along with many others) has wanted to know
what the "Latin" words in the choruses were ever since hearing them in
1980. They are conspicuously absent from the liner notes on the album
itself. Well, it was worth the wait! According to _Kate Bush
Complete_, Kate is singing:

 Delius
 Delius amat
 Syphilis
 Deus
 Genius oo oh

Totally unexpected, at least by this fan! How on earth does syphilis
relate to the song? Well, actually, after listening again to the
passage on CD, new lyrics in hand, IED has come to the conclusion that
the word is _not_ "syphilis" (the spelling for the disease) but
_"Syphilus"_. She's definitely making an "ooss" sound rather than an
"iss" sound at the end of that word. And that makes much more sense in
the context of the song.  Syphilus was a hero in Greek legend, a
shepherd. (IED hasn't been able to find out more yet, but he will!)
Syphilus Deus might make sense by meaning something like "Shepherd
God". Delius, especially that side of him which is the theme of this
song, is an artist of nature, of the country-side, and of summer.  As
far as IED can tell, that's the only way this word can be understood
in this context. MarK, Doug, the rest of you: any ideas?

	[What crippling disease did Delius have?  -- |>oug]

On _La Mariee etait en noir_:

     The bit about the Jeanne Moreau film is from a 1980 interview for
"Sounds" magazine by Colin Irwin, recently transcribed by eminent Kate
Bushologist and Kateic scribe marK T ganzer:

     My favourite track on the album is "The Wedding List". "Oh really?"
she says bubbling, the little kid who's been given a puppy for Christmas.
     "That was based on a film, a Jeanne Moreau film I once saw on the
telly, when the bride's husband was killed and she sought revenge for those
responsible." She spends the next 15 minutes relating the plot of the film,
ending in a breathless flourish. "It was an *amazing* film.  Can't remember
what it was called, though."

ColleKTors' Corner:
--------------------

About two weeks ago IED got a note from Fu-Sheng describing a black
and white poster of Kate based on the "Vermorel cover", saying he
found it in a West L.A. record store. IED's been looking ever since,
but has never seen such a poster. Unfortunately Fu-Sheng's now in
transit, so there's no quick way of finding out more. Meanwhile,
however, IED has come upon FOUR more posters this week in L.A. The
first is just the UK version of the normal b-and-w TWS poster, but
it's a better quality reproduction than the one IED has seen around
stores in the past.  The second is a small, twelve-by-twenty-eight (or
so) promo poster for the U.S. single release of "The Big Sky". It
features one photo on the left side, about twelve by twelve, and the
rest of the poster just has release info on the record. The photo is
the outer-sleeve _Ninth Wave_ picture.
     The third poster is, again, just a superior version of the _Ninth
Wave_ poster that's been around for more than a year.  In the latest
edition the photo itself is smaller, leaving a bit more white margin
around the picture, but the reproduction is slightly better than in
the earlier poster.
     Finally, there's a new design for the old UK poster of _The
Dreaming_ LP. This one is smaller than the older version (of which
there were two editions, each with a slightly different type style),
but this one uses not the album cover photo but the cover to the
"Suspended In Gaffa" single cover's copy of the photo. (Exactly the
same photo as the LP cover, but with the name "Kate Bush" visible in
small letters, top right corner of photo.) Also, this edition is
printed with an orange tint in the ink, and although it announces "Her
new album and cassette", the words "The Dreaming" don't actually
appear anywhere on it!
     So, four bootlegs, four posters and a collection of Kate's
"complete" music and lyrics -- all in one ten-day period. Pretty
impressive, huh? Shows that there are still a lot of people in the
world who have not been waylaid by "XTC".

-- Andrew Marvick