Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 4AD, Joy Div., My Dad Is Dead (was "Re: "lonely is an eyesore")

From: Ray Shea <shea%rice.bitnet@GAFFA.MIT.EDU>
Date: 4 Aug 87 18:41:41 GMT
Subject: Re: 4AD, Joy Div., My Dad Is Dead (was "Re: "lonely is an eyesore")
Sender: uucp@MS.UKY.EDU

> From: infidel%ucscl.UCSC.EDU@ucscc.ucsc.edu (Steven L. Sheffield)

> [...] i have to have some music that i favour the most [...]  4ad is
> that music [...] along with the usual cure/new order/bauhaus lines
> of music (these include other incarnations of the bands, like joy
> division, tones on tail, the glove, etc.)

No, no.  New Order is a different incarnation of Joy Division, not the
other way around.  JD's music whomps the bejeebers out of anything New
Order has tried to do in the last few years. :-)

By the way, if you like Joy Division, a band you might like (NOT a JD
clone, there's enough of those) is My Dad Is Dead.  They (actually he)
have 2 albums out: "Peace, Love, and Murder" (Birth Records), and "My
Dad Is Dead and He's Not Going to Take It Anymore" (St. Valentine
Records, I think).  Both are great.

I personally think the 4AD compilation is really fuggin' incredible,
esp.  Throwing Muses (who have an album out on Sire records soon;
finally, someone wised up and signed them in America.)
-------
Ray Shea                  The opinions expressed are my own.  Obviously.
KTRU-FM
ICSA, Rice University
Houston, TX               "This is how I go when I go like this."--Steven