Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hey You!! (Cure CD)

From: pixar.UUCP!laf@CGL.UCSF.EDU (Lori Anderson)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 87 16:51:22 EDT
Subject: Re: Hey You!! (Cure CD)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

actually, after i saw that hey, you wasn't on the cd i was
disappointed. then i heard the song and i don't feel so bad anymore. i
do think that they could have fit it on the cd, it's a very short song
(less than 3 min., i don't have it here with me so i don't know
exactly).  anyway, in my opinion kiss me.... is a great set of tunes
if you like the cure. i waited to buy it until after i had seen them
live, i find it to be much more thrilling to hear new music live for
the first time and the opportunity doesn't come up very often. the
live show was outstanding---- they started with the kiss which had a
short little film shown before it which was something like a bunch of
close-ups of robt. smith's eyes and mouth (with lipstick) the images
were jerky (movement, not opinion) and it was wonderfully
disorienting.  the majority of the show was new material, with some of
my favorite oldies missing, and i still loved every second! in my
memory it seems that with a lot of the new stuff they did extended
versions, this worked very well with songs like if only tonight we
could sleep and the snakepit (2 songs) when the stage was smothered in
smoke|fog and the multicolored, deeply saturated lights sought out the
performers through the haze.  the music on the new release is great,
not to be missed. although my personal opinion is that they are
tending to become more commercial. but i guess i can live with a
semi-commercial band instead of hearing something like madonna or
europe as long as it's\ someone as decent as the cure.  if you were
holding off on getting the cd because of hey, you i personally think
you should turn off your terminal this instant and run to the record
store to buy it! it's great!!!! send me a cassette and i'll make you a
copy of hey, you. actually though, i'm not sure yet about whoever
makes elektra's cd's i had to return my first copy of kiss me...
because of a faulty disc, so maybe you'd be better off with the
album(?). i don't know, i like the sound of cd's (who in their right
mind doesn't?) and i'll take the hassle of return for the sound in
return.

sorry this got so long winded, that happens to me sometimes,
aslo, please forgive the typos, i'm in hurry half the time and
lazy the rest!!!!!!

enjoy the new stuff, let me know what you think if you like, i don't
know very many people who like the cure.......

-=-=-<lori anderson>