Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Colourbox and Dead Can Dance info

From: Jim Jones <jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 87 16:15:32 EDT
Subject: Colourbox and Dead Can Dance info

> From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>

> Just bought the 'Lonely as an Eyesore' compilation and it is
> excellent.  Can anyone recommend any Throwing Muses, Dead Can Dance
> or Colourbox material (I'm already familiar with the Cocteaus and
> Mortal Coil).

 Being a somewhat of a fanatic Colourbox type I'm tempted to say "buy
 everything" but will restrain myself.  If you can find a copy of the
 limited edition pressing of the self titled album it's worth picking up.
 There's some sticker on the front which says something like "first 10,000
 albums contain bonus LP" or something like that.  The "bonus LP" is really
 too short to be called an LP (but too long to be called an EP)...  The music
 isn't as "brash" as the song "Hot Doggie" from the 'Lonely as an Eyesore'
 compilation, but there are some marvelous tracks here.  I especially like
 the tracks "Maniac", "Arena", and  "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (BTW -- someone
 should force Kim Wilde listen to this version over and over... :-), all of
 which are on the first platter (and therefore both the normal and "limited
 edition" pressings).  The "bonus LP" that comes with the limited edition
 pressing contains the second versions of "Arena" and "Maniac" as well as a
 song called "Sex Gun" which starts with the rythym tracks (and some
 keyboards) from "Just Give 'Em Whiskey" and turns them into a *completely*
 different song.  There's also a playful "man gone beserk at the controls"
 song called "Edit the Dragon" which shows their facination with chopping
 things up and putting them back together in odd ways.  Butchered remnants
 of musical tracks hop from channel to channel which makes for interesting
 listening through headphones.  Anyway, I highly recommend the self titled
 LP, if you can get the one with the extra "bonus" LP, more the better.

 Also, there's a 12" single called "The Official COLOURBOX World Cup Theme"
 (which I raved about here several months ago...).  I'll refrain from doing
 so again, but I will say it's closer to "Hot Doggie" than any of their
 other material.

 As for Dead Can Dance (I'm getting tired of typing, so I'll keep this
 short) I've listened to their second LP "Spleen and Ideal" a fair amount
 and can definitely recommend it.  It's much closer to "The Protagonist"
 than "Frontier" (the two tracks from 'Lonely is an Eyesore').  If you are
 more interested in "Frontier", their first album might be a better choice.

 -jj

 PS -- Colourbox like to use snatches of dialogue from movies in some of
 their songs.  On "Just Give 'Em Whiskey" the voice that utters the
 title line sounds a lot like Ronald Reagan.  Giving the rest of the
 song the choice was classic.