Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Alternate Interpretations

From: jsd%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 87 21:03:22 EDT
Subject: Alternate Interpretations

I've been poring over old LH printouts, and I noticed a consistent thread
in IED's postings:  a tendency to denounce any interpretation not specifically
given by Kate herself.  Remember the Hot Press interview?  I don't have it
at my fingertips, but there was a section where the interviewer mentioend
that "The Ninth Wave" seemed like a story of getting over drug dependency.
IED's editorial comment was "Isn't it amazing how people can persist in their
own misinformed opinions when they have just been told by the ultimate
authority of their mistake?"
   Well, that's not quite fair.  I was just watching "The Wall" and I was
seized by an amazing image of "The Ninth Wave" turned into a film about
someone getting over a drug habit.  Imagine the scope of hallucinogenic
images that could be fitted to the songs themselves!!  The possibility is
quite intriguing.  I for one hope that people continue to make these
mistaken interpretations, cos it makes for some pretty intriguing
thoughts...
   Just because Kate didn't have it in mind when it was written doesn't
mean that it wasn't lurking there in her subconscious, and us clever
listeners can read things into Kate's art that Kate herself never dreamed
was in there...

--Jon Drukman
"This kind of pornography is a matter of artistic creativity"