Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Backwardsness

From: RpK%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 87 14:20 EDT
Subject: Backwardsness

I was suprised at how easy it was to happen upon (admittedly) trivial
sonic palindromes.  I was at Lechmere, Land of Consumer Goods, checking
out the Casio SK-5, which can reverse a sample.  I sampled me saying
``Hello,'' and it sounded like ``Hello'' even backwards, though it
didn't have the same character of course.

Perhaps the difficulty in finding such things is overrated, since we
tend to think of language on paper as a string of discrete symbols.
However, what what is actually ``out there'' in spoken language is very
plastic and flowing.