Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Cure at Worcester Centrum

From: Paul Benjamin <Benjamin@BCO-MULTICS.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 87 09:42 MST
Subject: Re: The Cure at Worcester Centrum
Sender: Paul Benjamin <Benjamin@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>

    Really-From: Nancy Everson <everson@SPCA.BBN.COM>

    (this has nothing to do with kate bush)

    I wasn't going to go see The Cure this year...

    The concert was Friday night.  Our seats were really good...

    It was during "Three Imaginary Boys" in the third encore that
    someone finally made it on the stage -- a girl flung herself onto Robert
    Smith just as he was about to start singing.  They had to extend the intro
    to the song a bit while a security guy tried to extricate Robert from her
    embrace.  The crowd cheered and applauded the girl.

I guess things are a lot tamer in Worcester than I would have imagined.
When they played the Mesa Amphitheatre here last month, the environment
was a bit different.  There are no "seats" and that half of the audience
that was closest to the stage was on its feet and dancing from the
beginning.  I lost count of how many girls made it onto the stage quite
early on, and they had to cross a moat!

This was my first Cure concert and I was quite impressed.  I had only
recently become aware of their music and was pleased that the bulk of
the material was from the two discs that I was familiar with.

Minor nits: dry ice is a tired cliche and this show expended enough to
maintain a Baskin-Robbins for a year, although they may have had it
poured on more heavily due to the near-100 degree heat.  The energy
level, at least Smith's, seemed to falter about 2/3 of the way through,
but, again, the heat may have been a factor.  Finally, the 3 encore bit
was an insult to the audience.  Encores at rock concerts, for the most
part, ceased to be spontaneous before most of this audience was born.

These were just minor maters, though.  (I alwasys wanted to be a
critic.)   All in all, this was one of the best concerts in these parts in
a long time.

Paul