Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Eugene and Erik

From: voder!apple!bc@decwrl.dec.com (bill coderre)
Date: 8 Jul 87 20:35:50 GMT
Subject: Eugene and Erik
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

New on the Queue:

EUGENE CHADBOURNE: 198666 EP (On Ralph Records)

Five big songs on a 7" 33RPM. Here's the breakdown: Political --
Amerikkka stands tall (Libya version) Religious -- Jesus protects
Mexico Story -- Devil on the CB radio Pol/Relig -- You can't
rollerskate in a buffalo herd (w Roger Miller) Protest -- Skip a rope
Weirdness quotient is a little lower than on other Eugene products,
but the songs stand up pretty well. Sample Lyrics: "America stands
tall/Except in Libya/Our bombs were heaven sent/But they couldn't
destroy a tent" "Jesus loaned Mexico a whole lot of money/But they'll
pay it back 'cause they're scared of him" "You can't rollerskate in a
buffalo herd/You can't build a shield in outer space/..."

SPACE NEGROS (Erik Lindgren): In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida b/w Smells Fishy
Theme and Variations (ARF ARF records)
In-a goes in 7/4 with the aid of massively overdubbed drum machines.
A long bit of reversed speech at the end (anybody got it worked
out?).  Other than that, the performance and such is really
throwaway. I get the impression that this single was recorded in
about 1 or 2 studio hours total.

Smells Fishy theme and variations is some advert filler music Erik
didn't (couldn't) sell. Sortof cute to hear the "c/w" version, the
"punk" version, etc. Sortof. Maybe once at the most. Too Cute. Not
enough stuff (the theme is about 4 seconds long!).

WRAPUP:
Moderate thumbs-up for Eugene, but go get the albums first.
Thumbs-down for Erik. Get the ARF ARF sampler instead. Cutout, it will
cost the same.

New temporary Apple address, but the same old scratchy records. I'm
sweating it out with only 53 tapes. All the Captain Beefheart. No KB....bc