Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate is wonderful!

From: mit-erl!apollo!machnik
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 87 16:00:45 EDT
Subject: Kate is wonderful!

Hello |>oug;  Hello all!

Last weekend I finally won some money playing cards, about $20.

But that's not what I'm trying to tell you.  You see, I decided to
take the money and buy a Kate disc, based on the recommendations of
Dave Hsu (thanKs, Dave!) and also from reading L-H, which I've been
doing now for almost 2 months.  This is my first posting.  I had never
heard Kate before, except for parts of "Running...".

Usually I don't do things like this, but I have had it with almost all
of the new releases this year (can't deal with The Joshua Tree; U2's
worn thin with me though I used to be a big fan) and I'm being drawn
to new stuff (i.e. music I haven't heard before. My environment is
unfortunately quite musically conservative).  A special Yo! Thanx! to
Peter Alfke on this one for introducing me to the Cocteau Twins.

Anyway...having had my heart set on this one, I dashed into my local
record store and said, "Gimme a Kate disc!"  The guy asked me which
one; I didn't know.  "How about recommendations?" I asked, to which he
immediately said "All of them!"  (I wondered if he read L-H :-)...)
Finally I chose The Whole Story, figuring I could get selections off
all her albums.  And I brought it home.  That was Friday.

It's now Monday, and TWS was the only disc/album I listened to all
weekend!  (Sorry, Peter; except for Garlands once.)  I had been
reading L-H for 2 months, wondering how so many people could be
enthralled by Kate.  Now I know!  (Forgive me for being a heathen;
I've been converted!)  "Wuthering Heights" just knocked me out.
"Breathing" sent shivers up my spine.  "Cloudbusting", "Wow", forced
me to play them over and over.  The whole disc, all 48.57, over and
over.  I immediately set about trying to pass on my great discovery,
but my friend (thinks Sting & Phil Collins are music's best lyricists)
thought Kate was "the backup singer on Peter Gabriel's album" and said
"you mean she does solo stuff?"  And my sister (Bryan Adams/commercial
music fan) thought it was too "strange".  Oh, well.  They'll come
around.  My only problem is: WHAT DISC DO I BUY NEXT!?!

	[ *The Dreaming*!!! -- |>oug ]

Just a comment: I noticed the discussion on TWS video being #1 in
Boston (it's now #3) and Kate's popularity.  I think it's great being
able to discover Kate on your own, more or less (help from friends is
okay), without some commercial radio station or MTV or whatever branch
of the big music conglomerates that dominate the country's listening,
telling you that you should listen to Kate.  That makes it all the
more special.

Query: I remember a discussion on the interlude in the middle of
"Breathing" that appears in my right speaker.  Someone posted the
actual, complete text of what the man's voice is describing.  Could
someone please mail me a copy of that?  Also, if someone has them on
file or doesn't mind typing them in, I would appreciate any/all lyrix
to the songs appearing on TWS.  Finally, I am also looking for a
complete Kate discography, particularly EP's and 12", and singles if
rare trax are included.  If anyone out there is able to provide me
with any of this info, I would be eternally Kateful. Thanx!

Well, thanx all for reading.  Depending on what happens, I may be on
the net for only another couple of weeks, but before I'm gone, I have
a (final?)  request: Could I be made at least an honorary L-H?

THANK KATE FOR COMPACT DISCS!!!

(And if Kate isn't God, she's at least the nearest thing to it on this
earth...)

                                           Mike M.
                                          also known as
                                          THE MAD HATTER
              residing in lovely Salem, N.H. (NOT the one with the witches!)