Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Don't be so naive, Mr. Holmes!

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 87 12:24 PDT
Subject: Don't be so naive, Mr. Holmes!

KT News:
^^^^^^^^
Go West's LP, "Dancing on the Couch", is scheduled for U.S. release
on June 29th.

>From: Mark Katsouros <KATSOURO@UMDD>
>uh, no andy, i have no idea What houdIni's "real" name was.

>From: Karen Weiss <weiss@nrl-aic.ARPA>
>Subject: Harry Houdini's real name was ...
>Erich Weiss.  No relation.
>
>-- K.

    ied15seEs8now14that15his14typo15wasn't20too20obVious,8but9that's
 really19all15it12was4.14he15mEant14to19ask,5"was14_mrs._19houdinI's5name
  realLy1katE?"7But1anyway,9finding14out9that20it19was2alL1madE4up5is14a
    Bit15of21a7disappointment8for20this8l-h,1mark20--11on1the20other5
         hand,4it15would5mAke19Some9great20copy20fOR15wsi21.19!

Neil Calton, Love-Hounds' Chief British Correspondent Extraordinaire, writes:

> It still would still leave me wondering on the relationship of the
> last line to the underlying themes. If like the references to old
> banknotes it is purely a nostalgic remembrance of the past, is it
> the robber or Kate who is expressing this thought?

> If that last line is Kate interjecting her own memories does that
> mean she now votes for Maggie (surely not!) when she previously
> voted for Wilson or possibly Heath? (You'll notice there are a lot
> of questions in this piece and very few answers).

IED is afraid he can do nothing to solve this problem, but it seems
unlikely to him that the reference to "him" is Kate's own personal
"aside", so to speak. This would be totally out of keeping with her
method of sinking her spirit into the characters and story in her song.
It's much more likely that it's a nostalgic remark by the leader
of the burglars.

> As I've said, I cannot fathom why the gang member could care greatly
> about the political past.

Remember, though, that this is no hardened gang of criminals. IED has
always understood the song to be about a group of friends who are
performing a crime without prior experience, stepping into the
underworld for the first time. Quite possibly, they really ARE
"actors", as the lyrics say. Whatever their background, it's apparently
unusual enough for burglars to make it seem possible for one of them
to have untypical memories, etc. It's odd, though: If her British
fans can't understand the reference, then Kate couldn't have expected
anyone else at all to follow it. She does this alont, you know?

Thanks incredibly much to Henry Chai for the transcriptions. IED
awaits with bated breath the next L-Hs Digest.

-- Andrew
   P.S.: KEEP THOSE KATEMAS-CARD SIGNATURE-STICKERS COMING IN!
   DON'T FAIL TO BE COUNTED AMONG THE COMMUNI-KATE-ORS!
   Send in signature (and note, if you wish) to Andrew Marvick,
   10499 Wilkins Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024. The card will go
   out on July 15, so hurry, hurry, hurry!