Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

New L-H tape project lists

From: Jim Jones <jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 87 16:44:42 EDT
Subject: New L-H tape project lists

-----  "Peter E. Lee" <FULIGIN%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> writes:

>     In hopes of seeing the KompilaTion tapes circulating as quickly as
>possible, I have enlisted the aid of Mr. Mavrick and the map of the US
>found in the front of my local phone book to break the distribution list
>into several smaller groups - each of which should fill one C-90.

 Speeding up the tape-creation process is a noble goal indeed; but the
 new method does change the "personality" of the project quite a bit.  I
 was looking forward to hearing what the other contributors had decided
 to include before adding my selections.  Not only would this ensure that
 folks not duplicate material, but once finished, the multiple tapes
 would hopefully present one sort-of-cohesive statement.  Also, I'm a bit
 apprehensive about choosing music for consumption by a potentially large
 audience of well-informed music fans; adding something interesting as
 the ~20th contributor seems infinitely easier than being the 3rd person
 on a tape.  Please note that these are very minor points and are meant
 to be informative rather than critical.  Unless other people raise more
 serious objections, I think the new approach should be taken.

>     Once a tape is finished, the last person on the list should e-mail
>me a note, and I'll reply with the name of someone on the "Appreciation"
>list (contributors plus interested listeners) to send the tape to.
  ... and later ...
>[So, what's going to be done with all these tapes once they are
>finished? -- |>oug]

 It seems to me that the project we've started has two phases.  First,
 the creation of the tapes.  This phase of the project is well underway
 and has received a fair amount of attention.  The second phase concerns
 the presentation of the material on the tapes.  I think it will be
 helpful to keep these two aspects of the tape project separate.  I'd
 like to see someone (BTW -- WHFS just started playing Experiment IV
 even as I type this -- perhaps a sign from God :-) collect the completed
 tapes and coordinate a re-distribution of the final product to all the
 contributors and interested parties.  That way everyone who participated
 or was interested would get to hear the results of all this trans-world
 cassette mailing.  I certainly want to hear the tape I'm contributing
 to after it has been completed.  Finally, after all the dust settles,
 I'd like to see the folks who started the tapes get them back.  That
 is unless they have turned to just so much magnetic dust by then...

 What then?  Start all over again of course!

>     How do I get myself into these things?
>                                   It's just a complicated game...
>                                                -Peter E. Lee
 Your efforts are appreciated; and the quote is certainly appropriate!

 -jj

 Comments and/or questions welcomed.  Post or e-mail as you see fit.
 ARPA:    jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo
 USENET:  ihnp4!whuxcc!jhunix!ecf_ujaj
 BITNET:  L64A0110@jhuvm  -or-  postmast@jhuvm