Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Salem 66

From: dube@nyu-csd2.arpa (Tom Dube)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 16:20:38 edt
Subject: Salem 66

Joe Testa:
>Anybody heard Salem 66 on their current tour?  They come here on Saturday.

Yes, I heard them.  They opened for the Lorries about 3 weeks ago.
Salem 66 is worth seeing, although I wouldn't include them among my
favorite choices.  The music is good, with particularly agressive
bass playing.  The problem is the vocals.  The guitarist and bass player
alternate singing lead.  Neither has much power.  The bass player
doesn't have much style at all, and the guitarist tends to get too
folky at times.   But the songs are good, and the band can rock.
I think they should consider adding a few effects (compressor and
digital reverb) to improve the vocals though.

I also saw Salem 66 a couple of years ago at Folk City, and although
they were interesting, it was clear that they needed some work.  2 years
and at least 1 band member later the band seems much improved and
on their way up.

BTW, The Lorries were great.
                                   Tom Dube   dube@csd2.nyu.edu