Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

She Blinded Me With Science

From: drukman%UMASS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Jonathan S. Drukman)
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 19:19:53 EDT
Subject: She Blinded Me With Science

>From Jamie Andrews:
>      As for Thomas Dolby, he has released only the two versions
> of _The Golden Age of Wireless_, and _The Flat Earth_, right?
> Or am I missing some later recording?  (_TFE_ was at least three
> years ago!)

(so, :>oug, conform enough for ye, mate?)

      [	Well, pretty close, but not quite...  That line up there
	">From Jamie Adrews:" is wrong, because that is not something
	that appears in the quoted text.  It should either be
	"> From: Jamie Andrews" or "> [Jamie Andrews:]".  A valiant
	attempt, however.  Also, that's "|>oug", not ":>oug"  -- |>oug ]

Well, Let's see - I'm something of a Thomas Dolby fan... As far as I
know there are at least FOUR different versions of The Golden Age Of
Wireless (herein known as TGAOW)
     1.  Original British Release - cover picture of Dolby standing on
a stage with various devices and  a mysterious hooded figure in the
foreground.  There are lyrics on the back of the album, and a small picture
of what eventually wound up on the front cover of all subsequent re-releases
of this LP.  It also features the songs URGES and LEIPZIG which aren't
on most versions and it has the 'different' RADIO SILENCE (much heavier
drums, prominent guitars, Lene Lovich humming "try to think of nothing"
at the end).  We'll call this "RADIO SILENCE version (A)".

   2.  "Standard" American release - with the remix of "She Blinded
Me With Science" on Side 1,  and featuring "Radio Silence (B)"
The cover is the magazine "Golden Age Of Wireless" and there are no
lyrics anywhere.

   3.  "Nonstandard" American release - same as 2, except has "Radio
Silence (A)"... I've only seen this once, and it's very odd...

   4.  Japanese release - same as 2, only doesn't have "Blinded Me With
Science", tracks are in a different order, and there is a song called
"The Wrack Of The <...?...>" - If anyone has this song I will KILL for it,
so please let me know...

Apart from all this tomfoolery, there is an EP called "Blinded By Science"
which has some interesting remixes (the best is the extended "Flying North"
which features a very long break in the middle).  There are also the standard
amount of 12" singles, etc.  As far as I know, there's only one version
of "The Flat Earth" although there may be another one with a different
version of "I Scare Myself", since I picked up a 12" of "I Scare Myself"
which is credited as being "the Long Version" but is identical to the
one on American albums.  However, there are some neat B-Sides, so it's worth
the $$$.  If you want me to go into detail on 12" and other rarities, let
me know and I'll be happy to oblige.  And if you get the chance, see the
concert film!!  It's called "Live Wireless" and it is fantastic, and
features a  number of tunes that are radically different or not on any album.
Good stuff.  And if you DO rent it, and you have a Hi-Fi VCR, try to
make a tape of the audio track cos I want a better copy!!

--Jon Drukman
"Down with the landing gear, up goes the useless prayer..."