Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

more personal opinion, Rob

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 87 12:06 PDT
Subject: more personal opinion, Rob

>If I do not find a given song entertaining I do not listen to it,
>regardless of any other redeeming attributes it may possess. Perhaps IED
>would find this practice "idiotic", but I believe not.
>
>-- Rob Aitkin

You're right that he doesn't find it "idiotic", of course.
On the other hand, he doesn't really share your opinion.
Some of IED's preferred music is decidedly not "entertaining".
In general, entertainment is something he looks for on TV
or at the movies. In music, he wants one of two things: either
something more than entertainment, or something less. Late
Scriabin, for example, is done a disservice by being classified
as "entertaining", because it is far more than that, and the term,
although inherently complimentary, is a cheapening evaluation of
art of such high quality. And sometimes IED looks for something LESS than
entertainment from his music. There's precious little "entertainment"
to be had from Kate's track "The Dreaming", for example. By requiring
that all music conform to a standard as soft and moderate as
"entertainment", a great deal of good music risks being overlooked,
and a lot more misunderstood.

-- Andrew