Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Not born to the purple, but giving an excellent imitation of it...

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 87 12:51 PDT
Subject: Not born to the purple, but giving an excellent imitation of it...

>...makes me doubt that it was an actual broadcast - unless Kate edited
>it to just leave the names.
>
>Hope that helps - perhaps someone else is able to fill in some of the gaps.
>
>-- Neil Calton

It certainly does help, a great deal! Thanks very much, Neil.
That's by far the best info on this passage offered to date.
Your conclusion is just the kind of thing IED likes to hear:
namely, that Kate (apparently) re-recorded her own generic
version of the weather report, rather than choosing a specific real
one at random. She'll not finish before she's re-created the
entire universe in the terms of her own private vision. The only
problem is, it seems to be taking her considerably longer than six
days...

>Was that the tour for TKI?
>Next, on the back cover notes of the album it says "sleeve
>design by Kate Bush". Mine was simply a white paper sleeve (I always
>wondered who came up with that popular design), but seriously, what was
>on the original sleeve?  Also, the copy I have is the 'Kate on a kite in
>an eye' cover.  Is there any significance to this release?  I've heard
>it mentioned a few times here in gaffa.
>
>~Pat

Actually, seven of the twelve songs included on the Hammersmith
Odeon live film (used by Night Flight) were from The Kick Inside,
four were from Lionheart, and one ("Violin") was later included
on the then-still-not-released Never for Ever LP. In the full
concert, however, Kate performed virtually all of both The Kick
Inside and Lionheart, plus another track from Never for Ever ("Egypt"),
albeit a much different, earlier version.

As for "sleeve design", most LPs have an "outer sleeve" and an
"inner sleeve". The Kick Inside never had a design for an inner
sleeve. Besides being Kate's idea, the original sleeve design is
also important because it's the only one that reflects the
theme of the album. The eye belongs to the "man," (apparently),
and Kate is the "child" in it. Further, the child theme is
extended into the song "Kite", since the "child" on the cover is
flying in one. And Del's male kite-flying figure on the back is a
peculiar variation on the theme -- perhaps the Asian gentleman
is supposed to be the same man whose eye we saw on the front
cover. If so, then he has been saved (redeemed) by the spirit
of childhood (Kate's kite-flying figure in his eye), so that now
he, too, can fly over the windy-waily moor in John Carder Bush's
photograph, and soar, like Peter and Wendy, straight on till morning...

{The preceding was a suggestion from and for the WSI}

-- Andrew