Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Like Wow !! .....That's my scene!!

From: munnari!gecko.rmit.oz!rcopw@seismo.CSS.GOV (Paul Whiting)
Date: 1 Jun 87 00:07:29 GMT
Subject: Like Wow !! .....That's my scene!!
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In early May I posted an article to L-H's after I had just seen a very
out of form Hoodoo Gurus.

Have no fear!!

Because last week (friday 23/5/87) I saw them play at Melbourne's Festival
Hall. This was the Hoodoo Guru's I remembered and loved so well. They played
tight, the mix was great (well as good as they were going to get at the hall)
and they played a great range of songs.

They played even amounts of songs from their 3 albums, and didn't just play all
their new stuff, as some bands do when they've just released a new album. The
crowd favourites were "Like Wow - Wipeout" and "What's my scene?" and they
even did a great instrumental cover of Gary Glitter's "Rock n Roll".

Support bands were "the Cockroaches" and "cattle-truck" but unfortunately
I missed "cattle-truck".

The Cockroaches are a Sydney band which play sixties-style surf music (Jan &
Dean and Beach Boys). Most of their stuff is original and very good, though
commercial and is very danceable - great for party music. I'll include some
of their stuff on the tapes when they get over here. They do two covers - the
Surtaris "Pipeline" and ( I think James Brown did the original??) "Band of
a thousand dances". These guys are great stage performers and have some
really "smooth moves". Two of them got a little carried away on stage, while
doing the national tour with Hoodoo Gurus and ended up on crutches.

I strongly recommend seeing the Hoodoo Gurus when they come to your area :-
but a word of advice, if they play in your town more than one night, DON'T
go to see them on the first night .. I've learnt from experience on this one.

>From here the Gurus, go to the States, Europe (starting in the UK and ending
in Greece), Canada, Japan, NZ and back to Australia.

Wipeout.