Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

More Laurie....

From: dadoun@ubc-cs.UUCP (Nou Dadoun)
Date: 25 May 87 20:53:45 GMT
Subject: More Laurie....

Nancy Holt writes:

> I don't know of "I'd Love to Share my Money With You", or whatever you
> said, but I am looking for her first single, "It's not the Bullet That
> Kills You, It's the Hole"

That cut along with several other early pieces, "Is anybody home?",
"Two pieces for tape bow violin: 'Juanita' & 'Ethics is the Aesthetics
of the Future'", is on a New York 'experimental music' album called
Airwaves on One-Ten records (circa 1978?).  It's a double album
compilation which also has some excerpts from Meredith Monk's
dance/opera/film Quarry.

As well, (I don't know if this offer is still up but it was last year)
the New Music Distribution Service (NMDS) was offering a copy of the
above named single if you set up an account with them (which involved
giving them something like 50 bucks from which you could order
albums).  At the very least, get their catalogue, it makes fascinating
'new music' reading.

"You're the guy I want to share my money with" is an later album on
Giorno Poetry Systems which she shares with John Giorno and William
Burroughs.  She has 1/3 of a double album (one side and one groove of
a triple-grooved fourth side) and it consists of early (pre-big
science) studio recordings of United States material.

> It would be fantastic if United States Live was released on CD, the
> ammount I'm going to be playing that album, I'll wear it out unless
> I put it on tape, although it is going to be a few tapes, unless you
> know where I can find four hour cassette tapes, and I'll end this
> particularly nasty run-on sentence any second now.

I originally put it on 3 cassettes and kept playing it over and over.
"Song for two jims" still shakes me every time I hear it.

>the tape bow is awesome...

Curiously, Laurie no longer uses the tape bow violin (a violin in
which the strings are replaced by a magnetic tape head and the 'bow'
is fitted with a piece of prerecorded magnetic tape). The last time
she played in Vancouver (sadly almost 3 years ago), she had a guy on
stage after the show whose job it was to answer questions about the
equipment. The violin she was using then was designed by Bell Labs and
was far more advanced.  It was closer to a real violin in that it was
fitted with strings and a regular bow, but did not produce sound in
the same way.  Rather the tone produced controlled the sampling of
digital sound from material stored on a Winchester disc.  The pitch of
the string played controlled the sampling rate (hence the relative
pitch) of the digital recording being sampled.

However the control was greater than the tape bow violin in that each
string could be fixed to a different file/recording, it could be
programmed to restart the file/recording every time she stopped or to
continue, and it could be used to trigger other sound processing
devices.

What I want to know is: why haven't any of the commissions she's done
over the last four years been generally released.  The last 'new'
material she released was Mr. Heartbreak (not counting Home of the
Brave which was recycled material and comparatively disappointing).
Some of her collaborations (ie. Jean Michel Jarre/Zoolook) has made it
to disc but I know she's doing stuff.  Anybody know?

'I think of myself as coming from a long tradition of American comedy...'
--
Nou Dadoun	  	  | {ihnp4!alberta,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!dadoun
Dept. of Computer Science | dadoun@cs.ubc.cdn