Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Are you posting this stuff to taunt me or expose your ignorance?

From: Greg Earle (40876) <earle@jplopto.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
Date: Wed, 27 May 87 19:24:04 PDT
Subject: Are you posting this stuff to taunt me or expose your ignorance?

So you all spout off about how Skinny Puppy was `silly', `needed a
better mix', `spastic', `did ... a whole mess of other really
meaningful acts', and they did not `have any of the really gory stuff
that I wanted to see'.  Yet you turn around and say `Go see them but
stand back'.  Make up your minds.  By the way you're BOTH wrong, the
singer's name (stage name) is Nivek Ogre (real name is Kevin
obviously) not whatever-the-hell-you-garbled it-into.  Also, calling
Cevin Key a `heavy metal reject' just shows your ignorance.  Not only
does he NOT look like any heavy metal band member (I've seen enough of
those to make this distinction very easily), but he looks like and
*is* one of the most intelligent, sincere, and thoughtful people I
have ever had the pleasure to meet.  In addition he is a great music
fan (as is Ogre); I spent many an hour last month raving about Test
Dept., Einsturzende, Laibach, Cabaret Voltaire (we were reminiscing
(-: ), Mark Stewart/On-U/Adrian Sherwood with him.  Calling him a
`heavy metal reject' just puts *yourself* in a bad light, because you
don't know what the hell you're on about.  Saying Nivek Ogre can't
"sing" is ludicrous; they purposefully distort the vocals for a
reason.  I'd love to have seen you review the Cabaret Voltaire fall
1980 shows - "Auggh, they're just noise!  Stephen Mallinder can't
sing!  Stupid!" ... Sheesh.

I'm amused by your obvious biases towards what you expect from a
concert.  Does everyone in a band have to `have fun'?  Why did you
expect to see `the gory stuff', is this your idea of `entertainment'?
What Mr.  Value Judgement makes something `really meaningful' (assumed
heavy sarcasm here)?  Did you even try to make any sense out of their
presentation, to try and understand what ideas they are trying to put
across, the message they are transmitting, their values as human
beings?  I dunno, maybe there's something wrong with me, *I* sure
don't have ANY problem getting their message or understanding what
they are trying to put across.  If they were any less subtle as it is,
they'd be out in the audience beating everyone over the head with a
baseball bat!!!  Surely you can't be THAT thick; then again, I suppose
it's just SO much easier to call any attempt at putting across
anything in a performance as being `really meaningful' and just
dismiss it out of hand.  Skinny Puppy have a lot to say about the
condition of the world we live in, Man's inhumanity to animals, even
Man's inhumanity to himself.  They are about as subtle as a blunt
stick.  Try *thinking* about what you saw, instead of just making
cursory dismissals, and perhaps you will be the more enriched for it.

In case you were wondering who Mr. Pretentious Edward Ka-Spel is/was,
he was/is in the Legendary Pink Dots, and also forms one half of The
Tear Garden along with Cevin Key (also real name Kevin obviously).
Not that this fact saved him from being frightfully boring, in any
case ...

	- Greg

[Shit!  I missed the Legendary Pink Dots!!! Fuck!  -- |>oug]