Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

generic information dissemination

From: rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 87 10:04:12 PDT
Subject: generic information dissemination

	Got the new Saqqara Dogs EP (Pathfinder).  GREAT stuff.  Anyone know
what a ``dumbek'' is?  Couldn't find it in my Harper's Dictionary of Music.
(It's apparently some sort of percussion instrument(s?) )

	Anyway, their EP is called ``World Crunch'' and is somewhat indicative
of their musical style - Middle Eastern percussiveness, with overtones
carrying over into the melodies.  There are some very light overtones of thrash
as well, but only just a touch; likewise there are some Zeppelin-like guitar
overtones (reminiscent of the live version of ``Dazed and Confused'') on the
flip side 9" piece ``Greenwich Mean Time.''  I suppose one could call it
``world beat fusion'' (I don't like pigeonholes, but they're handy when
describing new music).  Strongly recommended.

	Also got a cassette from Grady Toss by Famous Actors from Out of Town
(F.A.F.O.O.T.).  Based in Virginia, this foursome produces music similar to
the National Health / Gilgamesh school, but with more emphasis on heavy
drumwork.  Check them out if you're into that sort of thing (contact FAFOOT
at 3429 Riverview Dr., Richmond VA 23225 [804.272.6424] ).

	So...can someone please tack me onto the end of the Compilation Tape
	list?

	Rob Rosen
	2603 Benvenue Ave, Apt. 1
	Berkeley, CA 94704