Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-11 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "Breathing the fall out in ..."

From: amdcad!tymix!nancyh@decwrl.DEC.COM (Nancy Holt)
Date: 16 May 87 07:09:12 GMT
Subject: Re: "Breathing the fall out in ..."
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

The person's speech in Breathing fades in, so I cannot distinguish
the first few words.  Anyway, what follows is very clear to me.

(from the CD of The Whole Story)
"...by a very simple method. (?) power of a nuclear bomb is the blinding
flash, which is far more dazzling than any light on Earth, brighter even
than the Sun itself.  And it is by the duration of this flash that we are
able to determine the size of the weapon.  After the flash, a fireball can
be seen to rise, sucking up under it the debris, dust, and living things
around the area of the explosion.  It is this ascent that soon becomes
recognisable as the familiar mushroom cloud.  As a demostration of the flash
duration test, let's try to count the number of seconds of the flash
emitted by a very small bomb, >boom< then a more substantial medium sized
bomb, >Boom.< and finally that of a very powerful high-yield bomb."

I was a bit annoyed to find a message posted a day after a previous
one I wrote appearing about five messages before the earlier
day's writing.  Oh, well, such is life on a moderated board.