Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

two bass players

From: ckk#@andrew.cmu.edu (Chris Koenigsberg)
Date: Mon, 4 May 87 14:18:33 edt
Subject: two bass players

I saw the Golden Palominos live in NYC and they had Jamaaladeen Tacuma & Bill
Laswell both playing electric bass. Bill played a six string bass with a real
real low bottom string and Jamaaladeen played both his Steinberger and a
Fender. The drummers were Anton Fier and that John (?) Morse guy, John Zorn
blew his bird calls and clarinet mouthpieces into glasses of water, and Arto
Lindsay scraped a guitar & mumbled into a microphone. The first Golden
Palominos album had two cuts featuring this lineup on them.

Acoustic double bass lineups are more common than electric double bass
lineups. Some old Pharoah Sanders albums had Stanley Clarke and Cecil McBee
both on acoustic bass. Some of Miles Davis's 1960's albums (Live Evil & that
period) had two bassists, one acoustic and one electric. Wayne Shorter's
first solo album included both Gary Holland and Ron Carter (although Gary
played guitar and Ron played cello on most of it, with Chick Corea on
percussion!).

I once played part of a gig in Pgh. with a temporary improv band called the
Bassberries - we were three bass players, a synthesist, and a fifth bassist
playing drums! I also recorded an overdubbed bass duet with myself ("A Quick
Trip") for the TMI 015 Compilation album (TMI Products, long out of print) in
1982 - many people insisted that I must have used flangers, echoes, all kinds
of effects, when really I just plugged my fretless Precision straight into
the two channels of a reel to reel Scully, one at a time!

Chris Koenigsberg
ckk@andrew.cmu.edu