Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Incorrigibility (and a small note)

From: Dave Hsu <hsu@eneevax.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 2 May 87 21:34:19 EDT
Subject: Incorrigibility (and a small note)
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

>Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
>
>                         Announcing the formation of
>
>            T H E   W I C K H A M   S T R E E T   I R R E G U L A R S
>
>Above all, the aim of the WSI texts is not necessarily to understand
>more about how Kate herself works and interprets her music,
>but to examine and celebrate the members' personal re-actions to it.

Aha!  At last, the veil is lifted.  What we have here is an
interpretive (as opposed to analytical) rag.  A naturally appealing
idea at first but...

>In the long run, interpretations as personal
>as Doug's, treated as objective truth because of the premium placed on
>the subjective within the WSI, would begin to combine with and enrich
>each other, creating an increasingly elaborate super- (or sub-)
>structure of WSI doctrine, in much the same way that a role-playing
>game is slowly improved by the convolution of its various players'
>shared and mutually respected imaginations.
>...Above all, the WSI encourages open
>discussion of its members' ideas, in the belief that through the sharing
>of our diverse imaginations and areas of expertise, we may discover
>new things about Kate's work -- and about ourselves.

...my reservations are resoundingly echoed by your analogy.  The chief
appeal of FRP games has always lain in their alter-ego aspect, and largely
in the sense that the character is clearly detached from the player who
is thereby morally absolved from having to justify that character's
actions.  (why do I get the feeling I just used about 20 too many words?)
Genuine reactions to Kate's work however, at least those that SHOULD be
of interest to such a forum, are deeply personal and inseparable.
   Arrgh, what am I trying to say?  Perhaps only that WSI strikes too
close to home, and that some of us more timid Hounds would be too
afraid to jump into such a deep discussion, even those with strongly
opinionated personal philosophies.  Still, we crave a taste.  Will WSI
be digested to L-H?

As things turn out, I actually AM an incorrigible bungler, but
moreover, I'm an incorrigible sucker for CD's that quietly cry out "buy
me, buy me", which brings us to Something Completely Different.

Dave now takes this opportunity to practice writing a sentence of
excessive length and to point out that, not having seen it mentioned
previously in this forum, there exists a CD single (EP?) of U2's "With or
Without You" with two additional tracks, "Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)"
and "Walk to the Water" (are these B-sides to the singles?  not having a
turntable, I have no idea...), both of which appear to be brand-spanking-new
material from this group who, in this L-H's opinion, is damn close to
running away with best album kudos even before the year is half through.

Of course it's an import, silly.  And as usual, I paid quite a bit for it.

*gasp*

-dave
--
David Hsu			Nobody In Particular