Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Husker Du

From: Sue Trowbridge <ins_aset%JHUNIX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 87 15:03:01 EDT
Subject: Husker Du

Really-From: sun!adlaia%witold@seismo.CSS.GOV (Adlai Alexander)

>> First, did anybody see Husker Du on the Joan Rivers Show last night
>> (4/27)?  What a bunch of dwids.
>>
>> ~Pat

> [Many derogatory statements re: Husker Du deleted]
> WHO LIKES THESE GUYS?????

I DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In fact, I'm wearing my spiffy Husker Du T-shirt today!!!!!
And I know for a fact that lots of other people on love-hounds
like them too!!!! (hi david!)

Your posting was completely worthless and utterly rude. It was
just mindless flaming from somebody who obviously have no conception
of what Husker Du are about. Grant Hart and Bob Mould write very
sophisticated, often very catchy pop songs and then make their music
subversive by playing as noisily and grungily as possible. Actually,
"Warehouse: Songs and Stories" is much slicker than, say, the primal
"Land Speed Record." You can't call them punk, but that's obviously
where their roots are.

"Aw, heck," you might say. "Who wants to listen to that NOISE anyway?"

Well, some of us really appreciate the SOUL and FEELING and ENERGY
in that "noisy" ol' junk. That's why some of us love the Volcano Suns
and the Lyres and Sonic Youth and fIREHOSE and Throwing Muses. They
don't play with the polished professionalism of FM favorites, but
some of us wouldn't want them to. As for the rest of you, these bands
are easy to ignore unless you listen to college radio (I'm surprised
that Joanie had the Huskers on her show, but I suppose it's because
somebody at Warner Bros. pulled a few strings). You can go through
life without being aware of the Fall and Christmas, but we
"alternative" folks can't avoid the top-40 -- stores, restaurants,
movies, car radios are constantly blaring it.

So I'm sorry that you had one nasty little encounter with Husker Du,
but you can go back to your safe little cocoon now and avoid the
unsettling sounds of our "alternative" music. But you can't avoid
discussion of it if you are a Rec.music.gaffa reader.

I wasn't offended by Pat's statement; I disagree with it, but there
was nothing inflammatory or mean-spirited about it. Yours was
just a crude, extended put-down of Husker Du and their fans. It's
one thing to say "I think T-Bone Burnett sucks" (which I do), and it's
quite another to say "T-Bone Burnett is such a no-talent, completely
worthless performer, I can't understand how anybody in their right
mind could ever like that crap," etc. etc. Note the difference?
Note the "I think" in the first example? Note how the second
example insults the performer AND the fans?

I'm sure you upset and offended a lot of people with your posting.
Please refrain from making the same mistake in the future.

--Sue