Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Noise: Sex Pistols and husker Du

From: Jeff Dalton <jeff%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 87 19:10:28 -0100
Subject: Noise: Sex Pistols and husker Du

1> Just because they're rich and lazy now doesn't mean they can't play their
1> instruments.

Does it matter whether or not they can play their instruments?  What does
it mean anyway?  Lots of people who "can't play" sound pretty good to me.

2> People thought the Sex Pistols were just noise back when they started.

Case in point.  I never thought they sounded like "just noise".  However,
the first time I heard the P. Furs 1st lp, I thought it was the worst thing
I had ever heard.  A month later, I played it again and thought it was
great.  This is a common pattern: something that is too unfamiliar (too
different from things you know and like) seems noisy or random and
therefore unpleasant or boring.  Later (or initially if it's not too
different to start with), the new patterns have sunk in a bit and become
interesting.  This phase can last a while.  Finally, it's all too familair
and becomes boring.