[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

Re: Kate-echism VII.4.xii

In article <8704131853.AA10705@EDDIE.MIT.EDU> Love-Hounds writes:
>Really-From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu

>>Fine with me...but I've gotta ask you - is there REALLY a station that
>>plays ONLY New Age?  I hope this doesn't escape Cupertino...
>
>"The Wave", a new station in L.A., purports to play only "New Age".
>Unfortunately, they define the category as broadly as possible, so
>that all kinds of MOR rock gets thrown in, as well, making it not
>much different from KNX-FM, purveyor of James Taylor and Carly Simon
>songs. Also, they have replaced all dj patter with some utterly
>infuriating, sickening and repulsive "skits". It's DISGUSTING.
>
>-- Andrew

I could probably understand being disgusted with "New Age" if that were
one's only exposure.  Somewhat more representitive (although I found it too
boring to remember to tape) is VH1's "New Visions" (on at about the same
time as MTV's "120 minutes").  I don't get enthusiastic about it like I do
about occaisional rock and most Kate Bush, but sometimes I just want some
background music that doesn't stick in my head afterward like an ad jingle,
and KLRS works slightly better than classic for that.  MOR and supermarket
music tend to be like the Paul Simon in Hell skit on Saturday Night Live a
few years back: sickening remakes of randomly chosen rock tunes; I'd rather
wade through the current rock I don't like for the few current gems I love
than listen to pablum travesties of songs I enjoyed firsthand.

New Age music, as selected by KLRS, might seem like pablum (but hardly any
retreads) to jazz fans, but I'm not one of those.  In fact, occaisional bits
on KLRS are *too* much like jazz trumpet for my taste, but not often.  As
for making music, I might dabble in new age style, but I think I will find
my own style closer to rock, with excursions into almost anything else
depending on mood.  So please don't expect me to defend Newage, I've only
half heartedly accepted it myself.  Still studying the beast.

	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
	or, if that fails:	{get to 'ames' somehow, then}!oliveb!prs

Mail welcome, but my mailer seldom cooperates when I try to reply.

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]