[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

Re: normal music for normal people

In article <8704112052.AA03621@uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU> Love-Hounds writes:
>Really-From: hsu%uicsrd.CSRD.UIUC.EDU@a.cs.uiuc.edu (William Tsun-Yuk Hsu)
>
>ME:
>->Oh c'mon... there's never enough weirdness in the world :-)... maybe you
>->just never had that much tolerance for the outre in the first place.
>
>Phil:
>>Outre?  Depends on just why it is "considered to pass beyond the bounds
>>of what is normal or proper".
>	    ^^^^^^    ^^^^^^
>
>Uh-oh, my pet peeves... How do you DEFINE "normal" or "proper"? Who
>makes these "standards"? And why must music need a good reason to "pass
>beyond the bounds of what is normal or proper"? I would have no problems
>with your statement had it been something like "I like what's normal and
>proper", but you claimed to like "weirdness".

My point is that *you* are defining your own normal and proper to reject my
taste, and defining outre in terms of violating what some people you hate
(you parents? teachers?) consider normal and proper.  Just another turn of
the idiotic wheel.

>>The guy [Hof] I just called a little boy?   :-)
>
>Hof has shown open-mindedness and sophistication in his appreciation of
>music. You have not.

Meaningless statement.  I complained a little, and now you think you know
enough about me to pass judgement.  Considering what you have said (below)
about music you happen not to like, I don't think much of your perspective
on openness nor sophistication.

>> [Me on Moody Blues]
>>Which makes it all the more outre, no?    :-)  :-)
>
>Only in the way that cheap slasher flicks, Lieutenant Kelly's Fight Song,
>The US Marines Workout Record are outre. And in that sense the Moody Blues
>would lose easily to Plan 9 From Outer Space. (Only half smiley here.)
>
>Bill

So you're asking me to be trendy and not like the Moody Blues because they
are out of fashion, or because you personally don't like them.  No smiley
face here.  Please re-examine your position.  (Not that the MB's are all that
great, more of a nostalgic thing as far as actually listening to them, but
the thematic nature of Days of Future Past is relevant to the subject I was
discussing when I mentioned it/them).

When someone (except in jest) treats their own taste as self-evident value-
basis, I call that closed minded.  When they broaden it just a little to
include their friend's taste, I call that trendy.  Not for me, thanks.

	- Phil		prs@oliveb.UUCP (Phil Stephens)     {really oliven}
	or, if that fails:	{get to 'ames' somehow, then}!oliveb!prs

Mail welcome, but my mailer seldom cooperates when I try to reply.

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]