[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!

Butthole Surfers / Buck Naked and the Bare Bottom Boys @ Berkeley Square 4/8

Buck Naked wore toilet bowl lid around head + minimal other clothing...
songs in the Cramps vein, but slower + with more bass.  Sorta funny.

Among the less disposable videos shown: "Death Valley '69", Front 242's
"Quite Unusual" (at least the music, the gratuitous leaping around was
pretty unnecessary), and a He Said number.  There was some unbelievably pop
Tex and the Horseheads cut...

Now everyone I was with was under the impression that they only played for
about an hour or so - I couldn't tell.  Eventually the heat, fog, strobes and
Ohio State Highway Patrol accident footage shining on the faces of Paul, Gibby
and the G-stringed perversely smiling go-go woman with blinding silver inlays
had me incapable of judging the passing of time.  They just get better and
better - loved the high leg kicks on "Sweet Loaf" from
_Locust Abortion Technician_, as Paul's eyes rolled back.  Only other song
I recognized was "Gary Floyd" - they weren't into playing "hits", and what
they did play seemed to go on and onnnnnn......  Gravel marmalade of distortion
with the lightest buttery hint of rhythm.  Evaporated Steppenwolf.

People clamored for a second encore but they just blew everyone off (after
having everyone stand around clamoring for 15 minutes or so, the creeps).
Went home and somehow became involved in largescale battering of kitchen
utensils and equipment which got real nice and loud/rhythmical just
when the house manager started getting the noise complaints.  Will probably
become rhythm track on next IAO Core tape.  Swelled up knuckle on right
index finger, ow.

allyn

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]