[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

No Subject

Just a few quick reviews:

Wednesday Week  *What We Had*

	As predicted, everyone's comparing them to the Bangles -- which
is fair enough, since the resemblence to *All Over the Place* and the
first EP is quite pronounced.  Not whatcha call breath-takingly original
but well done.  Recommended if you like that kind of stuff.

Three O'Clock  *Ever After*

	Much better than *Arrive Without Travelling*.  Production is much
lighter, the melodies are much less forced.  First two songs on side 2
really stand out.  Nothing as good as "Jetfighter" or "Seeing is Believing"
but a definite return to form from one of the best pop bands of the
eighties.

U2   *The Joshua Tree*

	Believe what you have heard.  I don't care how many copies it's
sold, it's a great album.

Husker Du  *Warehouse:  *Songs and Stories*

	So it's cool not to like them anymore.  Ho hum.

Actually, it's a pretty dull album.  They only write in one tempo, except for
an occasional image from Hart, they can't write lyrics, and the tunes are pretty
ordinary.  Only two songs -- "She Floated Away" and "You Can Live at Home" --
stand up to anything on *New Day Rising* or *Zen Arcade*.   Would have made a
good, but not great, single album.

Siouxsie and the Banshees   *...and Through the Looking Glass*

	The album contains an absolutely brilliant version of Billy Holliday's
"Strange Fruit".  Unfortunately, the rest of the album is decidedly blah.
It's not as blah as *Tinderbox*, but then they picked better songs for this
one.  I'm listening to the next album before I buy it.

				soren f petersen
				tektronix!reed!soren

"Reality is a Capitalist concept"

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]