[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

the harold budd interview #4

HAROLD BUDD INTERVIEW PART 4. COPYRIGHT 1987 GREGORY TAYLOR
____
It's interesting to find that there are two ways of thinking
of the notion of minimalism with respect to your work-one of
them is the sense that  your  music  is  about  the  act  of
listening-the  act  of concentrating and the effect that has
on a piece, and the other is on the actual structure of  the
piece rather than its effect on a listener.

Your work strikes me as being located roundly in the center
of those two traditions.

    What interests me though is the question of  "why"  is  that
    listener  engaged,  because I certainly am myself-in the act
    of making it, I mean.  It isn't a question that I'm  willing
    or  able  to  answer,  but  I know its there.  As I say, you
    involve yourself with the act of taking something  fundamen-
    tally perfect as it is-It's lovely.  You don't have to touch
    it.  Leave it alone.  Nonetheless, if you don't  just  leave
    it  alone,  what  version of life is there  for the next few
    minutes? What is going to happen?

That strikes me as a classically Romantic notion.

    I'm sure it is, and that's all right with me.

If I'm reacting strontly to that term it's probably  more  a
case  of  the  Romantic notion of the composer as a god-like
being, alienated by the weight of vision  and  endowed  with
genius.

    Oh, that.  Well, think of it in terms of a respect for order
    and a respect for the idea of beauty.  can you go along with
    that?

Yes, I guess so.  Speaking of beauty, there is another issue
that  I  think  we  need  to talk about here-your status and
identification with "New Age" music.  You'll be  pleased  to
know that you've wound up in the New Music bins at the local
store rather than the New Age rack.

    I'm not sure which is worse, really (laughter).

Well, okay-where do you place yourself? You've said you came
out  of  a  tradition composed of rugged individuals....what
John Cage has referred to as  "troubadors"-a  repertoire  of
work that's uniquely identified with you that only you do.

    Well, it hasn't been that way all along in  terms  of  being
    labelled: I've been called a New Age composer, a chance com-
    poser, an experimental composer, I was a  minimalist  for  a
    while,  I was an avant-garde composer-everyone was an avant-
    garde composer, you know-hen I was a New Wave  composer.   I
    don't  keep up on it these days.  I've probably railed on at
    too great a length about New Age music, however-I think that
    in  the  end, listeners should be able to listen to whatever
    they damn well want to listen to-since  it  allows  for  the
    possibility that I might be one of those people that they do
    listen to.  That's a consequence of access,  and  we  simply
    have  to  learn  to live with it.  Just for my own purposes,
    the so-called "New Age phenomenon" is and  will  be  just  a
    passing  fancy.  That temporary fashionability of it is just
    not relevant to any of my concerns.

But the problem is that  you  must  realize  that-since,  as
you've  said,  finished  work has a kind of life of its own.
Your own work -however you conceive of it and work  hard  at
getting it right-is potentially being taken by persons whose
sole purpose is creating a kind  of  environment  devoid  of
challenge  and  cleansed of the potential for the experience
of anything other than beauty in the most mundane and  insi-
pid sense.

    Yes, that's true, of course.  There is little that I can  do
    about  that.  It is a consequence of making art.  I you can-
    not live with the fact that that's an uncontrollzble  issue,
    you've  got  no  business  out there putting recordings out.
    But at the same time, it is very difficult for me to come to
    grips  with  the  idea  of  making music that is meant to be
    ignorable; the idea of concentration and focus is absolutely
    essential  to  what  I'm  doing.   The  choice to make music
    ignorable-to make it just  a  part  of  the  landscape-is  a
    choice that the listener makes, not me.

Perhaps the difference for the New Age  ethos  springs  from
the  idea  that  the  world  is  a bewildering place and the
proper response to that overwhelming amount of informational
input  that  you  alluded to yourself a little earlier is to
create a kind of environment that insulates you; it's reduc-
tive  in  the same way that the Industrial aesthetic is when
it makes the flat statement that beauty is  neither  accept-
able or possible as a constituent part of music.

    That goes against every fibre of my being.  It is a kind  of
    idea that runs counter to almost every single notion of what
    it means to be a person in  our  time.   The  urge  to  pare
    things  down  solves  nothing  in  that  way.  It is totally
    irresponsible.

In light of that, is the experience of beauty  possible  for
you? Soothing?

    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that  idea,  but  the
    suggestion  in that line of thinking is that art has a func-
    tion.  Art is completely ineffecient  as  a  problem-solving
    medium,  and  there  is-in  and of itself-nothing wrong with
    using it as a form of escape, if that is a choice  that  you
    make.   But it is not intended for that alone, and to narrow
    things down to any one thing is, I think, cheapening to  all
    the other parts of it-which are just as valuable.  Narrowing
    it down is just farting in a hurricane.

Given the fact that as an artist, you're committed to a life
of  producing things that by definition are beyond your con-
trol, what can you do about that tendency  to  reduce.   Are
you  left  with  nothing  to  do about the whole issue? That
seems  pretty  unsatifsying....spending  your  life   making
recorded  objects  that  people  spend  a lot of their lives
willfully misinterpreting-if you  can  even  talk  about  an
interpretation being something that you somehow own.

    I don't really think that they really are misinterpreted  in
    the  final  analysis, Greg; just the opposite.  For example,
    when a stranger comes up to me and says,  "You  know,  thus-
    and-such  really  did  it  to  me.  It was just, that was...
    blah blah, stroke stroke, flatter flatter.  " While that  is
    certainly very nice to hear-human beings do like to be flat-
    tered and all that-I have a theory which  is unprovable,  of
    course,  that  when they say "That moved me," they are talk-
    ing about precisely the same thing that I felt  when  I  did
    it-stripped of all the extraneous chatter and stroke.

It is rather  as if there were a way to prove that  you  and
I  agreed on what we thought the color red was.  If you were
suddenly and miraculously  transferred  into  my  body,  you
would  be  totally  unsurprised  by the sight of red-that is
what I think happens.  And so I think that that person and I
are  talking  about  precisely the same thing-however imper-
fectly.  It  otherwise inexpressible without that particular
medium of communication.

    That particular belief on your part is also an act of faith,
    isn't it?

    Absolutely.  Of course.

It would be nice to have that sort of  faith in the transca-
tions of art.  I am not certain that I do.

    Well, that kind of faith gets bruised and shattered all  the
    time.   Of course, putting it in these terms in an interview
    situation could always get a reader off think that the whole
    business  takes on a kind of religious aura.  That's not the
    case at all.  I am a thoroughly secular person.   Basically,
    that  is  the  best sort of language for this fragile set of
    relationships.

Why apologize for it, though? I think that in this  century,
the  urge  to  believe  and  the urge to faith have, to some
extent, located themselves in the minds of  many  people  as
having  everything  to do with the experience of art and the
experience of beauty rather than religious impulses.

    That's fine with me, as long as the New  Agers  don't  usurp
    that  whole  idea  and  assume  that this notion of faith is
    strictly some kind of mystical or religious thing,  which  I
    think  that they're occasionally trying to do.  That offends
    me very much-it's that same urge to reduce things again.

Given the tremendous success of New Age Music  and  New  Age
aesthetics-however  fuzzily they're articulated-that's going
to be a hard idea to do battle with.

    Yeah.  I thought for a while that it was going to be a  hell
    of  a  problem.   It  seems  more  likely that it's going to
    self-destruct instead.  It may not be able  to  sustain  the
    weight  of  its  own pretensions for very long.  It may cer-
    tainly continue to be immensely commercially successful, but
    I  don't  think  that the other mystical baggage is going to
    fly as well as it has.  Or it won't be  able  to  stand  the
    kind of modification that wider acceptance may require.

 Of course, if you want to look on the bright side,  it  may
be  that  a possible outcome of the destruction of the whole
New Age concensus may bring  about  the  emergence  of  some
respect  for  people  who operate outside of  the co-optible
mainstream.  Something like what one sees with Minimalism as
it  currently stands; there's a sort of "core" of Minimalist
activity producing works for the traditional scale that High
Culture  uses-Reich,  Glass and Adams writing for large sym-
phonic ensembles, and then this other school  of  peoplelike
Gavin  Bryars, Michael Nyman, Piero Milesi, David Borden and
others-who have retained their intimate sense of scale.

    Very, very English.

There's a kind of individuation that lends their work a kind
of integrity.

    Yes, you've said a mouthful, and it's my hope that I wind up
    in  that  particular category.  The integrity of all this is
    something that I really care about.

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]