[Message Prev] [Message Next] [Date Index]
[Love & Anger] [Gaffaweb]

Dial-a-poet etc.

>Really-From: Jim Jones <jones@hopkins-eecs-bravo.arpa>

(List of artists from Diamond Hidden in the Mouth of a Corpse who
donated proceeds to AIDS research)
> William Burroughs, Laurie Anderson(*), Keith Haring(*), David Johansen,
>  Diamonda Galas, Coil, Philip Glass(*), Merideth Monk(*), and
>  Allen Ginsberg(*) have all taken the challenge."

> * -- These artists do not appear on _A Diamond..._ but do appear
>      on other Dial-A-Poet compilation albums.

Actually Keith Haring kind of appears in Diamond... his drawings (now
incredibly trendy) are all over the album cover. Diamanda Galas' recent
releases are supposedly related to the events surrounding AIDS. Coil has
released a 12" cover of Tainted Love with proceeds going to AIDS
research.

> BTW - the album in question _A Diamond..._ also happens to be a
> great compilation.  I'll try to post a review in the near future.
> I'd also like to hear other folks opinions of any Dial-A-Poet
> compilations; so far I've liked _A Diamond..._ best but I'm
> still open to suggestions of others to try.

Most of the Dial-a-Poet comps are more heavily into spoken stuff than
music. I've heard snippets from the Nova Convention (the Allen Ginsburg
piece on punk rock is hilarious, but the folk singing sucks), the one
with Leroy Jones/Amiri Baraka, Burroughs, Giorno, Jim Carroll etc. and
a few others. Great if you like this type of material, otherwise much
more sedate than Diamond.

Bill

[Gaffaweb] [Love-Hounds Archives]