Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: Neil Calton <nbc@vd.rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 16:00:38 GMT

I came across the following interview with Big Country in a freebie
mag from HMV. Their comments on 'The Seer' track from the album of the
same name may be of interest to collectors of Kate trivia.

"We'd done the song and one of our mates, a guy called Davy Duncan who
used to play and sing in a band called The Shaking Pyramids, put down
Barrad which is a sort of ethnic Scottish-Irish type hand-held drums -
and it gave it a sort of folky feel, along with the mandolins and the
sitars. We thought 'this song needs girl vocals on it' and Stuart immediately
thought 'why don't we get Kate Bush?' We said there's only one way to do it
and that's phone her management. They said that Kate would do it but she'd
like to hear a cassette of the song first. So we sent a cassette there and she
liked the song and she worked out her parts for the song, orchestrating them
really well. Then she came to the studio and did them, it took her about
twelve hours to do and it was just great, it was fantastic. I think the woman
is just a complete genius. She was very shy. I think we were quite awestruck
as well when she walked in. Tony was like 'Oh, hello Kate, would you like a
cup of coffee, would you like a glass of orange juice?', running about saying
things like that. I think wew were quite shy, she was quite shy as well. But
she was good fun, she's got a good sense of humour as well. She's got a
very 'Comic Strip' type of sense of humour which we immediately identified
with and after that it was a great time."

So now you know what to do to get Kate to play with your own garage band.

         Greetings from the new Boobnette (with apologies to BB).