Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Mainstream Music.

From: hofmann@nrl-css.arpa (James B. Hofmann)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 87 10:31:25 EST
Subject: Mainstream Music.

Forgive us, Mr. Kat(e)sourus but there's too many of us out here that have
gotten burnt and are tired of hearing mainstream music but there some artists
out there in the 'stream that have my seal of approval:

Paul Simon (Graceland) - now that he's won the grammy, the radio stations
are playing his music.  Was a shame that it was not on many playlists because
no one was sure of it's political correctedness.  Regardless, I feel it
is Simon's most inspired work since his very early solo career (when he
was still churing out basically Simon and Garfunkel songs w/o Art the
porno star).

Robert Cray - I don't have any of his records but I sure do enjoy it when
his stuff is played on the radio - the song, "Bewildered" seems to be
getting the most airplay these days.

Gabriel (SO) - Yeah, even though I can't fathom why or how the Acedemy (grammy
people) felt this was experimental but I haven't tired of hearing the
hits on the radio and local radio HFS plays some of the more underplayed
cuts like "Red Rain" and the duet with Kate.  I like ragging on Gabriel
in this group just to upset his insufferable (a la IED) fans but I don't
turn off the radio when his songs come on.d

But, Mark, there's so much bull out there in the mainstream that you have
"to get yourself a reel-to-reel" (That's from an old Elvis C. song - an
artist that SHOULD get much more mainstream play than he does, by the way).
The prevailing "Classic Rock" formats of FM radio (wherein mainstream
music is played) is really killing new music - IU
to a 1984 Stevie Nicks tune as "Classic Rock of the 80s" - come on!  These
stations are so unadventuress and non-nuturing that it makes me puke.  But
then look at the generation (white males, 25-35) that they serve.  Perhaps
the most selfist and self-centered group since I don't know when (the 50s?,
nah, they weren't self-centered).

jim