Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hmmm... (Peter Gabriel and money)

From: rosen%ji.Berkeley.EDU@Berkeley.EDU (Rob Rosen)
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 87 13:43:45 PST
Subject: Re: Hmmm... (Peter Gabriel and money)

Doug comments...

> Please recall that he left Genesis because he felt that they were
> becoming too popular.  Is this the action of someone who is a
> musician merely to make money?

	Actually, I believe he left because of (1) conflicts with the other
members in the band, principally Tony, and (2) he was sick and tired of doing
the Lamb every night for what amounted to something like 103 shows during the
'74 - '75 tour.  It turns out that Tony Banks also fought with Steve Hackett,
which prompted Steve to leave after almost all of his contributions to ``Wind
and Wuthering'' were left off the final version of the album.  See Armando
Gallo's excellent biography ``Genesis: I Know What I Like'' for the details.

	%%Rob (former Genesis freak)
--

		Rob Rosen
		Computer Systems Support Group

	rosen@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (the syntactically correct address)
	ucbvax!rosen (for people who actually LIKE source routing)

[I have an interview on video tape with PG and he said that he left
because Genesis was becoming too popular and he didn't want to be
"chained to the spotlight".  He wanted to have free time to "grow
cabbages" rather than devoting all his time to being a superstar.
-- |>oug]