Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ivity

From: rutgers!uwvax!astroatc!gtaylor (Ou sont les neiges d'antan?)
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 87 10:15:43 CST
Subject: Re: ivity
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

It occurs to me that if you look at andrew's little quoted thingie
here and then check out r. stanzel's followup (to wit):
>>... Although it is not possible to set up a standard of
>>aesthetic value with which all can agree, it is certainly
>>possible to DESCRIBE and analyse specific aesthetic characteristics.
>>YOU may "see" as much complexity in Eno's lyrics as you do
>>in Kate's, but that does not change the fact that Kate's
>>generally possess a considerably higher degree of multivalence,
>>both structural and thematic.
>
>I began to see convergence in this paragraph:  sure, we can describe and
>analyze.  But then you blow it in the last sentence -- one can't usefully
>compare aesthetics.  In the quote, your first phrase contradicts your last.

you wind up with a kind of argument we've seen before. andrew is arguing
a slightly modified Romantic/empiricist position (looking at his earlier
musings on Beethoven, I think that he even out-Romantics Doug. We
should look at that posting again). Y'know..."beauty is resident in
an object, the result of the genius of person X. said beauty can be
described using the following criteria without resorting to "bias"
in any form-merely the elucidations of description...." Let's be
fair, though-andrew *has* admitted that concensus may play a part
in the assignation of *quality* to work in the Beethoven posting. "bolster
zen art"'s (great anagram) reply is also a pretty standard post-C.S.
Pierce, 20th century view of the problems of descriptive language
(wherein "objective" language functions like light-perturbing the
thing one tries to examine". Please note that I'm just being cute with
the analogy. Trying to expand it to argue a critical position wrt
language is a minefield.
--
A man walks down a street/it's a street in a strange world/maybe it's the
third world/maybe it's his first time around/doesn't speak the language/