Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Ubboy, here we go again.

From: IED0DXM%UCLAMVS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 87 15:06 PST
Subject: Ubboy, here we go again.

Doug is right. Checking his files, IED sees
that Kate did learn of the Fairlight's
capacities (apparently) before working
on PG III.

>I put my brand new EP of Experiment IV reverently on the turntable.
>I press "START."  Settle down and listen.  And I have to get up and
>see if I accidentally tuned to a top 40 station by mistake.
>Experiment IV is absolutely the worst, most insipid Bush song I've
>ever heard.  Could it be a forgery?  Maybe commies are trying to
>discredit Bush by distributing this junk?  The lyrics are stupid,
>the rhythm boring, the melody unoriginal.  (DISCLAIMER!  Assume
>the words "I think that" prefixing every inflammatory opinion!)
>
>-- Ranjit

Great! IED has no quarrel with this at all. If only
the rest of the cynics on this list were as careful
to acknowledge the subjectivity of their preferences,
IED would never have to pipe up in heated defense of
Kate.

>You may not, IED, but quite a few of us out there can (the number is
>immaterial).  Likewise, lots of people find Kate full of pretension;
>eg, I find parts of the second half of HoL bombastic.  (Define
>bombastic?  No way.  Remember those personal filters.)  My point is
>that you can't just state the above as facts and trust us to agree
>that it's the Truth.  There's no Truth in aesthetic matters.
>
>-- Rob Stanzel

Your conclusion is not wrong, of course. There is certainly no
single standard for the determination of relative aesthetic
quality. If you would just trouble to read IED's postings once
more, you might realize that he never asserted such a thing
at all. Although it is not possible to set up a standard of
aesthetic value with which all can agree, it is certainly
possible to DESCRIBE and analyse specific aesthetic characteristics.
YOU may "see" as much complexity in Eno's lyrics as you do
in Kate's, but that does not change the fact that Kate's
generally possess a considerably higher degree of multivalence,
both structural and thematic.

If you could possibly have cited an example to refute this, no doubt
you would have by now. However, here's another chance for you --
PROVE IED wrong! But don't just SAY he's wrong.

-- Andrew Marvick