Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Experiment IV

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 18:55:55 EST
Subject: Re: Experiment IV

> From: ranjit%cory.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Ranjit Bhatnagar)

> I put my brand new EP of Experiment IV reverently on the turntable.
> I press "START."  Settle down and listen.  And I have to get up and
> see if I accidentally tuned to a top 40 station by mistake.

I really don't see how anyone who has listened to *Running Up That
Hill*, can be surprised by the level of commerciality of "Experiment
IV".  "Experiment IV" sounds *much* less commercial and performed much
worse commercially in the singles market than "Running Up That Hill",
"Hounds of Love", "Cloudbusting", etc.  How often do you hear a long
violin solo in a top-40 song?

> The lyrics are stupid, the rhythm boring, the melody unoriginal.

I think you forgot the mention the chilling story line, the subtle and
intricate texture, the hynotizing groove, and the haunting violin
combined with a suprizingly catchy melody.  As I've said before, this
song (at least the 12-inch) sounds as close to Klaus Schulze and
some Windom Hill as it does to a pop song.