Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Mini-Reviews

From: dap@cgl.ucsf.edu (David Pearlman)
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 87 10:44:07 PST
Subject: Re: Mini-Reviews
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

In article <8702050321.AA27307@p.cs.uiuc.edu> you write:
>Really-From: silber@p.cs.uiuc.edu (Ami A. Silberman)
>
>Here are a few mini-reviews, of stuff that I picked up recently:
>
>The Tourists - Luminous Basement
>
>This is the band that Annie Lennox and Dave Stewert used to be in.  I think
>that this one is also out of print, but somewhat worth hunting up.  More
>generic Rock/New wave type stuff, the best songs are those in which Annie
>sings.  I wouldn't really go out of my way to get this one, though.

Yes, "Luminous Basement", released around late 1980, is long out of print.
This was actually the Tourists' second US release. The first was titled
"Reality Effect" and came out about a year earlier. In fact, I think
"Reality Effect" is far superior to "Basement". Neither made much of a dent
in the US music charts, though "I Only Want to Be With You" from the first
LP (a remake of the Dusty Springfield hit and a smash in Europe) almost
made it.

"Reality Effect" is actually their second album. The first was released only
in Europe (or at least Germany, which is where my copy came from). Several
songs on this LP were re-recorded for inclusion on "Reality Effect".

In addition, English copies of "Luminous Basement" originally came with a bonus
45 single (I don't recall what was on it).

About three years ago (after the Eurythmics broke in the US), CBS released
a sort-of best of the Tourists LP in the US (titled "Should Have Been Greatest
Hits", I believe). It was OK, though it emphasized the Lennox-Stewart
songwriting collaborations, which were pretty weak. Last I looked, it was
still in print.
--
				                 David A. (DAP) Pearlman

"And all this science I don't understand
 It's just my job five days a week" -- B. Taupin