Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Questions.

From: "JAMES HOFMANN" <hofmann@nrl-com>
Date: 5 Feb 87 10:59:00 EST
Subject: Questions.

I do admit to feeling queasy in posting the psycodrama interview.  especially
since it isn't until the end that they admit that their klan/white patriot
thing is all an act.  I'm sure everyone thinks I'm a rascist for posting it
in the first place and that psycodrama should be silenced (well, not
everyone...) for this.  Is that true?  Is what they are doing a social
statement (ask yourself if whether laurie anderson or someone had taken
their most offensive statements, piped them through a voice synthesizer
and put her requisite tinkly/psuedo-jazz music in the background whether
you wouldn't blink?) or have they crossed the bounds.  Would they be
received differently if they weren't country bumpkins but new york art
school students.  (lord knows they wouldn't have gotten as far as they
did in their "research" into klan meetings if they weren't couched in
the basics of country anti-etiquitte).  Are they really subversive researchers
in disguise - afterall, they claim to have given their klan buddies false
names and at least one of them is a gay (a frequent target of klan hate).
I'm suprised that Doug let it go out on the network given the lack of
brain power among the net-nazi types (are there rules?).  If in fact
they were totally serious, would silencing them (and me) by akin to
what rossi said about killing the "american dream".  Is this what we
mean by the American Dream?  The right to incite hate?  Other questions
are if a white supremacist party is so censured by the mainstream why
are people like Farrakkkhan accepted by the black mainstream while
gayle or collins are written off as crackpots (incidentally did you
know that the white front agrees with farrakhan in his incitements
for a seperate black nation?  they just don't give details on what
they believe the seperate black nation should have in way of resources.
i.e. american versions of south african sepearte nations).  Should we
be allowed to insulate ourselves from these people so that we're ignorant
of their demands?  And finally what does this have to do with music
or Art for that matter?  Is the role of the Artist to point out these
inconsistencies and abberences in our society?  Do Psycodrama effectively
do that by making their lifestyle the art-form rather than a canvas
or what not?  Should I continue to post the rest of the interview?

------