Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Residents at the Warfield

From: Niels Mayer <mayer%hplnpm@hplabs.HP.COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 87 00:03:25 PST
Subject: The Residents at the Warfield

Pardon me, but are the residents really supposed to sound so much like the
severed heads and/or skinny puppy? This was my first LIVE residents show,
(though I have most of their albums or tapes) and I found it to be
undeniably deathrock.... you know that deeesco backbeat with a sinister
twist of noize, doom, and gloom... well it seemed like half of the
resident's performance was like that.... I'm used to the residents being
silly, not sinister. With my luck, the next time I go see Captain Beefheart,
he'll sound like the beach boys....

Overall, I'd give the resindolts 13th anniversary concert a "B" grade.
I've seen better in residents videos.  It felt like a "the residents sell out"
concert.

Any other opinions?

Niels.

"What do you see in Caligari's Mirror?"