Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1987-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Vocal ranges

From: lum@osupyr.UUCP (Lum Johnson)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 87 16:10:07 est
Subject: Re: Vocal ranges
Newsgroups: mod.music.gaffa

Actually, anything over 4 octaves is remarkable; 4 1/2 is about the most for
anyone who has actually been recorded.  This talk about 8 is just hyperbole.
However, I agree that Kate's voice is extraordinary, though more for timbre
than range.  I immediately found her voice excellent, listenable, and quite
pleasant.  I don't understand this great gripe some of you seem to have.

My introduction to Kate Bush (_The_Dreaming_ or _Babooshka_, if I recall
correctly) was made by WOSR, our college radio station, remarkable itself
and largely responsible for what little music "scene" Columbus has.  This is
a non-broadcast station, available only on a 540AM carrier on the line
current in the dorms and on 99.9FM on a certain TV cable.  The cable company
doesn't really provide decent equipment for this signal (sounds like a
weak/distant AM signal), so they have very few off-campus listeners.
However, because they are unavailable "over-the-air", they are _not_
FCC-regulated and can and do play anything anyone considers "new music",
regardless of how "rude" anyone considers it.  And they have an MTV/Top-40
_anti-playlist_!  Their greatest handicap is their budget, which means they
have to use mostly promotional disks, but sometimes people like me loan them
disks (eg, my Residents library) for special segments.

Lum Johnson  lum@ohio-state.arpa  ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie!lum

"Razzle dazzle dazzle drone, time for this one to come home." -- Replacements
(Anyone remember the Jay Ward cartoon they borrowed this line from?)