Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: new hounds

From: decvax!decwrl!sun!wdl1!sgi!msg@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Mark Grossman)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 86 10:44:02 PST
Subject: Re: new hounds

> The video tape or the boxed set of singles?  The boxed set of singles
> is now out of print, I am told.

I was hoping for the singles... what a shame.  I saw them in Tower Records
one day last year, I thought "I'll have to come back for this!" and the
next thing I knew no one at the store had even heard of them.  I'd gladly
pay someone for a casette copy!

> Well, since *The Dreaming* is the greatest creation that exists or
> ever will exist, this is to be expected.

OK.... fine.... just checking....

But really, the more I listen to HOL, the more interesting it gets.
Especially having gotten hints from .gaffa and from various reviews about
what some of them relate to.  It just doesn't quite have the kick inside,
the whiplash mise-en-scene of the all-holy Dreaming.  Maybe her adolescent
_weltschmertz_ is burning off?

> > [...] and that (the videos of) her old stage shows were
> > embarrassing?
>
> No.  She could get kind of silly every now and then, but what do you
> expect from a 20 year-old girl?  Everything in the shows is inspired,
> if not perfect, and overall I think that they are completely
> wonderful.  I can't imagine a better concert.  The amount of effort
> Kate put into those concerts is just incredible.

That's just the thing.  Her music shows such relative maturity even, say,
in the '79 of the Odeon concert.  But the staging was SO self-indulgent...
kind of like a 6th grader's R&R fantasy of the school play.  I could see
the effort that went into it, but it just made me blush.  Maybe the later
video is different... I haven't seen it.

There are a few other KB devotees here at SGI.  If you're listening, hi, boys!

	-- Mark