Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1986-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What makes a man start a mainstream band?

From: wicinski <wicinski@nrl-cst.arpa>
Date: 29 Oct 1986 1733-EST (Wednesday)
Subject: Re: What makes a man start a mainstream band?

>I disagree with Hofmann's definition of "mainstream".  I think that
>mainstream does not mean "popular", but rather "conventional".
>Unconventional music usually isn't very popular, so it might seem easy
>to confuse the two, but I'm sure there's mucho mainstream music that
>isn't all that popular.  Thus, we can't equate "mainstream" with
>"popular".

yea we can, we're assholes and we can say what we like.  YOU on the
other hand, are lost in a mass of medicore whining.

>I think that it is indeed possible for something to be popular and not
>be mainstream.  I'm convinced that with the proper advertising,
>*anything* can be made popular, at least for a while.  And sometimes,
>things that aren't mainstream become popular for various reasons.  If
>they stay popular for long enough, they become mainstream because they
>have *defined* conventions.

who wants to be popular ?? YOU ?? why, so armpit-festering wavos can
come over to your sleazy little apartment with you kate bush blow up
doll and blow your brains out ??  your talking in circles in a VAIN
attempt to rationalize gabriels and bush's rise to whatever place in
they are.

She's not popular in Beltsville, Motorhead is.  They think kate won't be
popular until she sounds like Lemmy. or at least sleeps with Lemmy
(which i have heard is alreadry true).

I think the Butthole Surfers, Big Black, Meatmen, and Volcano Suns are
mainstream acts.  prove me wrong, cause i gotta go see lesbo's in
action.

dickhead